Tyers Targa

SHOW YOUR SLOT CAR TRACK!
Photos and Descriptions of YOUR Home Layout

Re: Tyers Targa

Postby Ember » Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:33 pm

Just have to add some photos of fresh cars that have arrived at the Tyers Targa Track.

Seems to be a theme developing for Ferraris of late. I went from none to four in no time flat. One of them I was even guilty of purchasing myself.
The red 512s was an earlier surprise gift from a friend overseas. Decided to buy the yellow long tail to match it. Broke a buying drought of more than 12 months. A little concerned now in case the flood gates have been reopened.

I do rather the short tail, but they're both great looking cars.

Then there's the two SCX Rally Proxy prizes that arrived.

And another gift slot arrived in this morning from the Fairy Slot Father. I could get used to being spoilt like this. Photos of the new comer later.

Embs
Ember
Downunder Diorama Queen

Location: South western corner of the south eastern bit of Downunder

Postby dreinecke » Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:48 am

Embs - Every time I look at your track I seem to find something new. I'm really enamored of your static grass skills and will have to do some serious studying to see why mine never turns out anywhere near that good.
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Postby Ember » Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:35 pm

David, the blend I use contains all the different lengths. The WS 2mm light green gives a rather dusty understorey. I also use Noch 4mm and 6mm fibres. And at the farm gate corner I have most recently completed I also added in the new Noch 12mm fibres. I blend my own mix to try and get the look that I want but it is still a little green for my liking.

It's applied using an applicator made from an electronic fly swat. Lots of instructions for them on the net. Long fibres are a must unless you're doing a putting green. Also worth looking at some of the Silflor products. Some of their blends look great.

I'll try to find some photos of the process later.
Ember
Downunder Diorama Queen

Postby deslot » Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:40 pm

:clap: Nicely detailed track, Ember. You have some excellent skills
deslot

Postby dreinecke » Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:33 am

Ember - I seem to recall you were using a blend. I'll have to do some more experimenting...
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Postby Ember » Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:49 pm

David, I've used the same colours on the track as I used on the base for the garage/shed diorama (the base will be getting redone sometime in the New Year).

Clockwise from left: Noch 6mm beige, Woodland Scenics 2mm light green, Noch 4mm ochre and Noch 6mm light green. To this list I've now added Noch 12mm beige.

Mixing my own blend has allowed me to vary the colour across the track but still keep some continuity over the whole table. More beige on the high points where the grass would have burned off a bit more, a little more green in the blend in the areas where the water would run, and yet more green at the base of the hill.

The variation doesn't really stand out all that well in the photos. And it's far too even for my liking.

Beneath the concrete flyover I dropped the green out of the mix completely and was quite sparse with application as there would be very little natural light getting through, except for one patch inside the apex of the corner. Here I added just a hint of green. Probably a pointless adjustment, because it's not an area that can really be seen, but I know it's there.

From there, long grass has been added with dyed sisal.

I'll possibly go back into the first parts of static grass and a second coat to some of it with the 12mm fibre in the mix. I just want to get some of it thicker and patchier.
Ember
Downunder Diorama Queen

Postby whitworthnut » Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:57 am

Absolutely beautifully executed. You have a marvellous eye fot detail and the skills to make it happen. Do you by chance have a Fine Arts background?
whitworthnut
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Ember » Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:35 pm

Decorative arts rather than fine art Peter. I studied ceramic design with a major in glass blowing.
Ember
Downunder Diorama Queen

Postby Wolseley Hornet » Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:39 pm

Advice please, Ember, from your clear position as the Scenic Grass Expert around here.

I was considering an Autograss oval.(I think Autograss may be a peculiarly British thing - where you take a perfectly nice field, and make it a quagmire by racing Minis and various home-built buggies around it).

I thought maybe rout the slots, seal the MDF, lay the tape,mask it then paint the whole thing soil-coloured, and lay 'grass' before removing the masking tape.

Then run the cars on the grass.

Do you think it would work? And would you bother to use the static device for this, or just use any old green scatter as it is only going to be 'wasted'?

Sorry if this has hi-jacked your thread.I'd be glad to know what you think - and if it seems like a hi-jack, maybe Mr. Moderator could move it.

David.
Wolseley Hornet
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Ember » Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:08 pm

First up, I'm no expert. Just experimenting and learning same as everyone else.

I know the style of racing you're referring to. But, I think you'd do better with the premade static grass mats. There is a variety that has a paper backing. I saw someone on SFI use it for a grassy/muddy stage on a rally track. Looked brilliant. And I think the fibres should be better anchored in the mat. Only guessing here though.

The crumbed foam scatter option would work, but it probably wouldn't look as good as fibre grass.
Ember
Downunder Diorama Queen

Postby Wolseley Hornet » Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:00 am

Thanks,that's helpful.
Specially helpful to know about the premade grass mats;I only learned about Noch snow after I'd done the ice track!

David.
Wolseley Hornet
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby vonsirius » Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:32 am

It´s really a fantastic track!
:banana-rock:
vonsirius
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Ember » Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:38 am

Thanks. I hope it may actually get finished one day....
Ember
Downunder Diorama Queen

Previous

Return to Reader's Roads