Coming Full Circle

SHOW YOUR SLOT CAR TRACK!
Photos and Descriptions of YOUR Home Layout

Coming Full Circle

Postby Flying Dutchman » Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:22 am

Gentlemen and Ladies I say hello.
This may or may not be a unique story but it was suggested I post this story here so I'm more than happy to do so.

To make a long story short I started into this hobby about 7-8 years ago. Got into it so deep that it did not take long that I started breathing and eating slot cars. I enjoyed it very much but with too much of anything I got burned out and sold literally everything. One of my personal crowning achievements in this hobby was my first wooden track. I loved this thing and if I remember right it was also featured in a Slot Car issue as well. After long agonizing debates I decided to sell this track to a good fellow slot head in my area.
It was getting good usage so I felt at least that it was going to a good home. In the course of the next 7 or 8 years this track changed hands more than a couple of times after and I lost track of it.
Just last year I visited this Drag Race Slot car shop and to my surprise I saw my old track. I was both happy and sad because even though the track was still getting used, time took it's toll. The track was in quite a mess and aside from a few things, most anything that could be torn off or broken was.
I walked out of there thinking boy, maybe I should rescue it but at the time I had too much on my plate.
Recently I decided to tap my foot into the water again so I asked here in the For Sale section if any one in Colorado had seen this track. I posted a couple of pictures back when it was in top condition along with information I had about it.

Here are a few more of when it was just finished.

Some 1/24th scale cars going at it.

Before long I had a great reply with contact information. I called and before long we worked something out and now the track has come full circle back to the place it was built. Unfortunately with anything time took it's toll and this track was no exception. After being moved to many locations from seller to seller, being placed in storage and even used as a racing marketing tool at a local car dealership it was in a sad state of repair once I got it back home.

So instead of this being a build thread of a new track it has become my personal restoration attempt to bring it back to it's glory days.
The more I thought about it the more excited I get. As corny as it may sound, to me it's a personal mission to bring back something I built years ago that I was really proud of. What's even better is that without the help here I may of not had this opportunity. So here I go. The mission begins and this is it's current condition.

Thanks for looking folks.

Flying Dutchman

Re: Coming Full Circle

Postby chris » Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:34 am

Well, there's something that will keep you from being bored this week-end!

That's a cool track and great that it's come home.

Chris.
chris
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby RazorJon » Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:25 am

great project, you staying with tape or are you thinking braid?

looks like a nice track, good luck
RazorJon
Tire Razor Guy

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:13 am

Great history and very glad it made it back home.

Look forward in seeing this come back to life.

Congratulations.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby RichD » Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:00 am

If you go with braid it will be much easier disassemble and reassemble the track in the future. The modern method of using double sided tape to stick down the braid is much easier than the old contact cement method.
RichD
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby ourwayband » Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:50 am

Great Story and great track!
I bet you will enjoy bringing her back to life more then you did when you first made it.
keep us updated..
Rusty
ourwayband
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:12 am

Excellent. It looks like its mostly scenery and details that need work. It certainly looks like you aren't going to have to glue large areas back together and that is a nerve-wracking task, believe me. Good luck with it, and I look forward to seeing it back in action.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby ddyke » Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:17 pm

It will be like restoring a 65 289 Mustang that you used to own. You won't be satisfied until it is perfect.
ddyke
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby MoparGreg » Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:18 pm

Thats a great track. I can see why you wanted it back
MoparGreg
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby sixtiesracer » Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:48 pm

I still have that issue.I can see from the condition of the scenery and surrounding items that the last few owners treated like a "thing" :angry-tappingfoot: rather than the time consuming work of art it was.Let's bring it back to it's original condition.That got it into the magazine in the first place!! :clap:
sixtiesracer
The Rustinator

Postby Ember » Sun Oct 13, 2013 3:11 pm

Looking forward to watching it lovingly restored.
Ember
Downunder Diorama Queen

Location: South western corner of the south eastern bit of Downunder

Postby Flying Dutchman » Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:14 pm

Thanks guys. I'm getting it off the floor tonight. The cruddy weather is starting to roll in so it's a good excuse to start getting at it. :D
Flying Dutchman

Postby Flying Dutchman » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:21 am

Well it's up off the floor. I even have the track orientation the same way as it was before. It's like deja vu in a cool kind of way. :D

The first order of buisness is to redo the electrical tape or braid. I'm hearing great things about the braid and that it is no longer as difficult to do so I'm checking in to doing it that way.

Flying Dutchman

Postby Flying Dutchman » Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:13 pm

Thank you, the drawning on the wall was done by me. Never had the modivation to finish it after the track was sold but I suppose I may as well finish that now too.
Flying Dutchman

Postby ourwayband » Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:18 am

Track is looking good!!!

Rusty
ourwayband
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Next

Return to Reader's Roads