What would you build?

SHOW YOUR SLOT CAR TRACK!
Photos and Descriptions of YOUR Home Layout

What would you build?

Postby slothead » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:45 pm

I've wanted to build a second track for years, and now am actually making plans. I already have a 4' x 14' 2-lane oval with a very slick hardboard surface that my grandson and I have raced everything from RTR Trans Am cars to custom built dirt modifieds on for about 7 years.

I thought about building a road course for the Trans Am cars but frankly while waiting for the Pioneer Camaros I lost interest and the cars I have are packed away. All the other cars I have are replicas of dirt cars, so it looks like a larger oval makes the most sense. Plus, I've spent hundreds of dollars over the years on lighting and other scenery items ideal for replicating a hometown Saturday night oval.

The corner space available could be as large as 10' x 16', but I'll probably just use 6' x 10' for a short fat oval with larger turns than straights. Since I also do a lot of time trials on my own I'm thinking about a lane change switch that flip-flops and alternately sends a car to the inside and outside lanes. I also have a lot of Scalextric digital stuff I bought years ago and could go that way or use the AC2car system. My current track has the lanes routed right into the table top, but I'd like to have slightly banked turns if I could figure out how to do that. Lastly, I already have several sheets of hardboard for the surface, but want a little more traction this time and am experimenting with sanding it to roughen up the surface a bit.

Thoughts, ideas, and suggestions are welcome.

Slothead
slothead
The Doctor is IN!

Re: What would you build?

Postby dreinecke » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:47 pm

It sounds like you really love the dirt track, so I'd personally go that way. Since you have so much scenery stuff too, that makes sense. Ovals can be fun...especially with a crowd of drivers.

Since the T/A cars are already packed up, I'll send you the address to ship them to me at ;)
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:25 pm

Try painting the hardboard with some satin latex. It has good grip, and allows the rubber to build up.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby Ember » Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:12 pm

Why not go for a large oval with an infield road course. Best of both worlds. Or push the dirt theme further and make the infield course RallyCross. Much fun to be had and it still fits your scenic theme.
Ember
Downunder Diorama Queen

Location: South western corner of the south eastern bit of Downunder

Postby Florida_Slotter » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:26 am

I'm sure that as long as you and your grandson have FUN, any configuration is just fine.
Florida_Slotter
Scratch Build Guru

Postby ddyke » Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:05 pm

A track that does not require scenery (since you already have one with that. It would consist of two layers. Bottom layer = large oval. A secondary layer would be a road course that would be placed on top of it. When you want the oval take the roadcourse off and lean against a wall. Both tracks must be routed.
ddyke
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to Reader's Roads