How To Improve Scaley Sport Track

SHOW YOUR SLOT CAR TRACK!
Photos and Descriptions of YOUR Home Layout

How To Improve Scaley Sport Track

Postby trakdaddy » Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:16 pm

I'm not for sure if this post belongs here, if it doesn't please move to the appropriate site. I have recently acquired some additional Scaley Sport track that has a little rust on it and I would like to add it to my layout. I was thinking that I would use copper tape on the track before getting the new-old track, but if I clean rusty track and add the copper tape over it do you think the track will rust underneath it and reduce the conductivity?

I am moving my oval track into the middle of my road course to save some space in the garage so this this the reason I am asking.

Thanks for your help in advance,
Ron
trakdaddy

Re: How To Improve Scaley Sport Track

Postby Ember » Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:45 pm

Depends a little on how much rust there is and how you choose to remove it. The Scaled rails are nickel coated to retard rust. The coating will be completely destroyed by any abrasive methods of rust removal. But, providing it is kept dry in future it should not be a major problem.

Rather than copper topping, you might try treating the track periodically with Knox MX3. It will work as a rust prevention coating and lubricant. Plus it improves performance. Only needs to be lightly done periodically, every couple of months.
Ember
Downunder Diorama Queen

Location: South western corner of the south eastern bit of Downunder

Re: How To Improve Scaley Sport Track

Postby jmsh54 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:28 pm

Greetings, if there is not much rust and you have the time, get a soft rubber eraser. You can find them in any art supply or craft store and rub the rails with it. It will remove the rust and not damage the them. Shines them up real nice too. Regards, John
jmsh54

Return to Reader's Roads