Friend of JimD, and the new track..

SHOW YOUR SLOT CAR TRACK!
Photos and Descriptions of YOUR Home Layout

Friend of JimD, and the new track..

Postby Slotcarthumb » Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:02 pm

Well I have been building it this fall/winter. It initially was just one 7 foot straight per side. But I upped it to about 16 feet now. Over all length 23 feet, comes apart into 6 pieces. I have my custom cheater stands (rubber tubs) uses 8 to support track. That way they will nest into each other when not being used, and I can keep the electronics in the top bucket. So far I call it the ICE TRACK because it has only been used in 30-40 degree temps in the garage. It was working fairly well considering the tires were round icecubes !

I have a friend that has a big auto body shop. We are going to set it up next Saturday and have a bunch of people running ... Hopefully some of them buy there own cars at the local hobby shop. Mine are working really well right now , like to keep it that way ! hahahahha

Oh, I guess I forgot to mention,Copper taped Carrera 3 lane,routed MDF shuffles thru all three laps, one double cross over switch. Soldered power to the center of each piece, and then I used some nice rc airplane battery connections to plug in piece to piece on the ends. So far its worked flawless.
Slotcarthumb

Re: Friend of JimD, and the new track..

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:15 pm

Very nice, looks like a blast to me.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby dreinecke » Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:23 pm

Now that looks like a great track! Love the cross-overs and the different lane spacings.
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Postby Slotcarthumb » Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:58 pm

The two parallel lanes run on the bottom of 3 and 4 on the track, then the outside thru corners 1 and 2.. the third lane brings you from the outside of turn 4, to the low line going into turn 1.

Or something like that :P It is routed wide enough for 1/24, and a skosh more for good effect.
Slotcarthumb

Postby Wolseley Hornet » Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:12 am

Im-press-ive !

And the mini bike,so you can have just one marshall riding round and round.Fabulous!

David.
Wolseley Hornet
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Slotcarthumb » Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:35 pm

If we let someone corner cars on the trail 70, nobody would want to race the cars ! hahahahah
Besides the track is literally 2 inches shorter than the garage when the doors are down. You can't even walk around it, you must go over. Someone with a brain would have made the track smaller for the convenience of being able to walk around it ! hahhahah
Slotcarthumb

Postby Wolseley Hornet » Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:19 pm

You are not alone!

My oval fitted fine in the last house. Then we "downsized".The garage door only just closes!

David.
Wolseley Hornet
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby RazorJon » Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:34 pm

Welcome and nice looking track :banana-rock:

and its another Carrera digi\ wood this is what 5-6 now

Giving me Ideas :think:
RazorJon
Tire Razor Guy

Postby Slotcarthumb » Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:05 pm

We have four digital Carrera wood tracks in our area, my oval is the shortest of all of them... Jim D has built at least 3 separate tracks of this type with tons of changes sometimes week by week, This is my second track...
Slotcarthumb

Postby Slotcarthumb » Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:08 pm

Well ! after only running the track shortly with two people in a 30 degree garage.. JimD and I loaded it up and took it to a friends auto shop.. We set that baby up in a nice warm well lit building and had 6 people running on and off for 4 hours. It was pretty dang fun !
I might add that my routing job of offset lanes and very different lap shapes worked great. At no time did I feel I was in the slow lane.. the big outside corners were almost the exact same speed as the shuffle to the VERY low lane.. It worked great. Also the shuffle crossover is at an angle that seems to lift the cars out gently instead of making for painful T-bone style wrecks. I might add that when an accident does occur there it makes for some impressive roof and door slides to the corners sometimes, along with some rapid door to door type rolls.

The Carrera COT cars came thru like gladiators as usual. The guy that owns the shop wants us to come back once more before the winter is over...

I got a chance to drive from the sides of the track, and the ends. when sitting in the end WOW does the track look long ! JimD said that where he was sitting it was fun to watch the two bottom lanes run from the bottom of corner 4 to the top of corner 1. Especially when the car leaving corner 4 high dives thru the pack at the lane shuffle...

One last thing, we had it up and running in about 30 minutes, and I think it tore down in under 15.. so I am pretty happy with it all around :)
Slotcarthumb

Postby JimD » Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:48 am

Thumb,

I don't recall if anyone had a camera and got any pics? I thought about it when you picked me up but that is where it ended! I'm terrible at that stuff, I'd rather drive than stop and take pictures!

Definately a good time, and the donuts fit in nicely with my driving style! :lol:

And, you need to think about a pit lane! You put the pit lane in and I will bring the CU and pit sensor and computer and we can run full races with fuel and events! Be easy to do with everything using clips. All we would need to do is drill the holes for the sensors!

Jim
JimD

Postby indybob007 » Tue Dec 16, 2014 6:59 am

Hi their, Is this a digital track. Does it have flipper where that crossovers are. Thanks Indybob
indybob007
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby JimD » Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:31 am

Bob,

There is a double lane changer just after the outside lane crosses down to the low lane. The outside and middle lanes are routed at standard plastic track spacing and those lanes feed into the double lane changer.

Forgot to say, yes it is digital. With all of digital's faults and extra expense from buying chips for non carrera cars we still enjoy it.

Let me see if I can embed a photo here...
JimD

Postby indybob007 » Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:22 pm

Thanks' I bet that is fun to run on. I still debating a Oval. Keep going back and forth. Keep waking up in the night debating. Darn.
indybob007
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby indybob007 » Tue Dec 16, 2014 5:39 pm

Thats a thought . I have finally decided on a oval or tri oval. I am going to do it modular type with 16ft straight sections then 2 end pieces. I might even use milk crates for support. May I ask you 2 more questions and I leave you alone. What is the width of your oval. And what is the white wrapping around the edges. Or you using masonite. Thanks for teh help. Indybob
indybob007
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Next

Return to Reader's Roads