Got the lap timer going - a whole new world

SHOW YOUR SLOT CAR TRACK!
Photos and Descriptions of YOUR Home Layout

Got the lap timer going - a whole new world

Postby 3nickel » Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:38 pm

I saw a bunch of old posts about this but figured I'd bring up the "Lap Timer 2000" software again here since its working great for me. I bought the game port adapter from Greg Braun who wrote the free software, and version 6.3 worked on my windows 7 home, and XP laptops with no problems. I've only taped the phototransistors to the underside of the track to test, and the cables will eventually go underneath. This makes running cars by yourself a lot more fun if you can see see your times every lap. It helps with developing strategies for running. I am also a sucker for the engine sounds that come with the software. Anybody else like the engine sounds?

I haven't made an IR LED light bridge yet, the IR phototransistors work well enough with an LED light bulb overhead, or good room light. They false trigger though if you move around near them, so the overhead Light bridge will be superior.

I also got a nice little $13 digital scale that has .1 gram resolution for weighting cars. Another great investment.

my non magnet car weights are currently:

90.5 grams Revell Lola
78.5 grams SCX Fiat 124
83.0 grams FLY 911

FYI The phototransistors I uses were from Digikey, and $.77 each. They are Digikey # 365-1603-ND

Forgive the blue painters tape I use to protect the new cars during testing. Anyone else do this?
3nickel

Re: Got the lap timer going - a whole new world

Postby chappyman66 » Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:50 pm

I did the IR sensor route, super easy with parts via Amazon
The one thing about IR is make sure you run a clean power supply. I set them up initially with a train transformer and the AC flicker made the lap timer software not work. Everything was fine once I put a clean power supply in line.

But yes....SlotTrak is another good full featured free race management system although there are many options out there. Laptimer2000 is great for your own test use though.
chappyman66
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to Reader's Roads