Track cleaning, restoration

SHOW YOUR SLOT CAR TRACK!
Photos and Descriptions of YOUR Home Layout

Track cleaning, restoration

Postby Czar » Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:18 am

Well, this weekend I tore apart my 44 foot Carrera track and made a new 55 foot layout. I had my previous layout for about four years. The old track had no connection problems or loss of power, but I want to do my best to make my new track as good as it can be. I will use a mild soap solution and a soft brush to clean each piece of track. Then I will repaint the track. When the paint is dry I plan to squeeze each connecting pin just a little to insure a good connection. Then I will reassemble the track and bolt it to the table. My questions: what is the paint of choice these days? In the past I have used a diluted exterior latex paint. It has worked well, but I want to know if there is a better solution. Should I paint the track piece by piece, or paint the whole thing after it is fixed to the table? Next, should I mask the rails before I paint, or just use my fingernail to scrape it off later? Finally, for good connections, should I use an electrical conductive grease on the track pins? I will wire up one, and possibly two power taps Thanks for your help. I'll post some pictures when I am a little further along.
Czar
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: Track cleaning, restoration

Postby RazorJon » Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:24 am

all sounds good, I have used 91% alcohol on my carrera track with no issues, gets it clean and drys fast
RazorJon
Tire Razor Guy

Re: Track cleaning, restoration

Postby Czar » Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:18 pm

After a little more research, I am leaning towards buying a quart of UMA X-I-M water based, bonding primer. If anyone has any experience with this product I would be happy to hear what you think.
Czar
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to Reader's Roads