[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 429: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Contemplating a wood track

Contemplating a wood track

SHOW YOUR SLOT CAR TRACK!
Photos and Descriptions of YOUR Home Layout

Contemplating a wood track

Postby BARC 1 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:29 am

I used to have a wood track when I was in the hobby earlier, and have been using Carrera set track this time around.

With the possibility of repurposing my space used for a model railroad that never seems to get operated anymore my mind is drifting to constructing a wood track. With that in mind I would like to ask some opinions on track design.

I have seen some wood tracks with lane spacing that changes to mimic a driving line squeezing together. My thought is it looks good, but probably a nightmare for actual racing. I would be interested in hearing from anyone who has done this and what their real racing experience is with this idea. I.e if you built another track would you still incorporate this concept or stick with even lane spacing that allows cars to run side by side anywhere on the track.

I was thinking of this driving line approach, but was wondering if it is a novelty that wears off quickly,and just becomes a major deslotting area of the track during races.

So again the question is, if you have tried squeezing track lanes, would you do it again if you built another track. It seems as most tracks are built with equal lane spacing
BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: Contemplating a wood track

Postby kidvoltage » Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:59 am

I do not care for them.
kidvoltage
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby chappyman66 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:06 am

I don't design with them because they are major chaos in racing. I have raced on tracks with them and you can learn to adjust but I don't care for them.
My perspective is that each lane has a different line that needs to be raced, and that's enough challenge.
chappyman66
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby MikeB » Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:25 pm

I would not recommend a squeeze , straight or on a curve.

My reason is from experience with a horseshoe squeeze I created on my own routed track. When two cars go into the curved squeeze together, the cars can fish-tail significantly over the outward adjacent slot. The car in the outward lane has the challenge to intentionally or unintentionally kick the back end out on the lead car and de-slot it.

Short wheel based cars are fun trading paint thru the squeeze.
Long wheel based cars can become annoying due to de-slots.

Squeezes can challenge your driving and be annoying all in the same breath.

mike
MikeB

Postby BARC 1 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:41 pm

So far, I am getting the responses that concur with my feelings on this. On the one hand the cars going around the track look better,and you have to pick your places to pass on, and then on the other hand you are engineering in collision points to add to deslots in racing. Having experienced digital racing, I know the control and goodwill that must be shared to prevent complete chaos. I imagine these squeeze sections add that same patience into a drive. Not everyone can or wants to drive with patience.
BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby ra7c7er » Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:48 pm

I don't like squeeze sections. To me they are just deslots waiting to happen. With that I will say that if you have a club or constant group of good racers it can be a great section to have on your track by creating a section of track that requires forethought. but if you are just doing a home track to play with randomly with friends and family it just creates a crash fest.
ra7c7er

Postby ken weir » Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:56 pm

I like them. It adds another THINKING element to the race. You must decide if the car you are next too is going to slow down or not. Thus you must plan where to pass.
ken weir

Postby RichD » Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:40 pm

Most of the Shoreline Model Raceways tracks have a squeeze. A squeeze section does make racing more challenging. If two cars are doing close lap times a pass could take a lap or two, if the is a squeeze passing becomes much more difficult. I would not recommend having more than one squeeze. If you do build a track with a squeeze and that becomes a problem you can always fill in the slots and route new ones.
RichD
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby mattb » Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:52 pm

This really depends on how experienced your racers are. Veteran, experienced guys can probably negotiate a squeeze ok, most of the time. If your racers are new to slot racing, or are casual racers, I wouldn't even consider it. Somebody will be out of the slot on every lap. That sure takes the fun out of it.

My personal thoughts are the harder a track is to drive and the more de-slots you have the less enjoyable it is for everybody. We run 1/24 and a flat 180 corner on my track was a constant problem with guys coming off every lap. I cut it out and made a new corner with 5 inch lane centers and 8 degree bank. It works great now and guys can run a few laps without coming off. It's much more enjoyable for everybody.
mattb
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby slothead » Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:05 pm

Does having an adjustable power supply and reducing the voltage to achieve more realistic speeds have a part to play in this issue? When I raced at a commercial track and then in a club managing deslots was a challenge. Drivers who desloted a lot wanted track or power calls, drivers who stayed on didn't, unless multiple cars came off or the track was blocked. The guys who had well handling cars and knew how to drive them didn't want be constantly stopping for those who over drove their own or their car's ability.

This came up a lot in the AC2car discussions, where being able to make smart lane changes and passes was a necessity for good racing. One track owner said if a driver didn't get the need for give and take racing they were not invited back.

Deslots definitely need to be considered, and if a track is challenging and therefore making a pass is likely to cause one, don't push it. I've been to a number of 1:1 races where a driver lost a position or a race when cited for rough driving. In the Indy car race just this past weekend the car that finished 3rd got bumped off the podium when race officials imposed a blocking penalty because he moved a few feet to the right as another car was setting up for a last lap pass. Squeeze section or not, my point is if a driver can avoid contact and a deslot by smart and cautious driving, that is their responsibility. Yes, newcomers may not know how to do that so different accommodations may be needed in that case.
slothead
The Doctor is IN!

Postby RichD » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:54 am

If you race without traction magnets there is a limit to how much power you can put down. You can either use less powerful motors or reduce the track voltage. My club usually runs at 10 volts and 21.5K motors are the most powerful motors that we normally use. Once in a while we use low powered Artin cars as IROCs, in that case we would turn up the voltage a bit. For club racing you would want to strike a balance between having cars that are boring because they are too easy to drive and having overpowered cars that only a pro can manage.
Note that I am speaking of a club racing situation, if you only run by yourself a more powerful car or a higher track voltage will usually be more fun.
RichD
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BARC 1 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:02 am

Slot racing for me is a family affair. Son in-laws and grand kids will be the main users. Squeeze tracks through corners would enable a better track design requiring less real estate. I was thinking of a back straight and front straight with full width lane spacing for passing and squeezing through the twisty bits and most corners.

Realistically I am a single runner 90% of the time. Currently my track is a 143 scale track with Carrera 132/24 track for a straight. When running most 132 scale cars the only place to pass is on the straight, and we are getting by.

As I am not going to abandon 143 scale racing, I am thinking even the squeeze sections would allow two 143 scale cars go side by side. So for side by side racing around the entire track we could run the 143 cars

Figuring on a 3 lane 143 scale spaced lane track which would have lane spacing and borders for two 132 cars on the outside lanes. Center lane would allow me to solo run my collection of old 124 Cox cars.

Thanks for all that have responded. You have confirmed my fears of squeeze tracks, so I think the plan will ensure full 143 scale lane spacing around the entire track, but in effect will be a squeeze track for 132 scale cars on everything but the straights.
BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Cgyracer » Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:41 pm

I find one squeeze section is fun and gives the slightly faster car a lap to try and pass, many times you need the entire lap to pass. Makes it a lot of fun watching a car try to make ground and pass in time before the squeeze.. With two or more squeezes on a track it makes it very hard to have enough time to pass I find. Food for thought.

Rob
Cgyracer
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby slothead » Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:30 pm

slothead
The Doctor is IN!

Postby dreinecke » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:45 pm

If you look at my last build, the PDR had multiple squeezes - and I loved them all. Really made you drive and the local club guys were kind of bummed when I didn't do any on the new PDR.

From my original build write up: "Squeeze Sections - I'm a huge fan of seeing cars tuck behind each other realistically on the racing line. Having multiple cars running side-by-side at 4" of spacing works well for club racing, but doesn't look correct in my eyes on a heavily landscaped and realistic looking track. My squeeze sections are numerous and allow the outer two cars to run side-by-side, with the middle lane either having to act as a blocker or a follower. It forces some strategy in racing the track and the feedback from everyone has been very positive, even from those used to club racing on an evenly spaced track. "

With the changes to the new PDR though, here's what I landed on for this track: "While I loved my old PDR track, I have to say that the fetching Mrs. Reinecke was 100% correct when she asked me to re-think the squeezes and tight curves. This track has a fabulous rhythm, is quick enough, technical enough, and just a joy to drive. I'l have to take her out to some high-dollar dinner now probably, or she'll never let me live it down."

Bottom line: I like them both. Make it like YOU want it.
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Next

Return to Reader's Roads