[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Storing your cars...up or down???

Storing your cars...up or down???

SHOW YOUR SLOT CAR TRACK!
Photos and Descriptions of YOUR Home Layout

Storing your cars...up or down???

Postby Broman62 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:00 pm

Wanted to get some opinions on how youn’s store your cars...hypothetically if you know your gonna be away from your slot cars for awhile and they are just gonna set on your track, shelf, in the display box or however...do you let them set on their tires or do you turn them upside down so the tires don’t get flat spots??? I’m sure everyone does it differently but I was curious as to what might be the best way or sensible way??? Thanks in advance for any input!!! :D :D
Broman62
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: Storing your cars...up or down???

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:25 pm

waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby mattb » Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:55 pm

How come that bench and surrounding area is so neat?
mattb
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Fitzy » Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:03 pm

I ran into these few days ago on thingiverse thought I would give them a try for the cars that will just sit on a shelf for a while

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3319271

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3261843
Fitzy
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:41 pm

Matt, that was right after I built it, years ago. Now it's hard to tell what the boxes are sitting on.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby Aloha » Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:48 pm

Share another option that Lancelot gave me and that is using the plastic tubes that Crystal Lite comes in. Stores car airtight and place a silica pack to negate humidity.
I will always store car upside down.
Hope that makes sense.
Aloha
Dale
Aloha
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby mattb » Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:56 pm

We all had work benches that when they were new!!! Every now and then I gt mad at myself and just take an hour or two to get everything put away and small parts sorted out. A busy table probably means the owner stays busy, too. Lot better than just looking at a neat workbench and never accomplishing anything.

I store cars, (1/24) in some of those clear plastic display shelves that have sliding doors. Very lucky to buy a few at $20 each! I got some 1 by 1/4 inch wide trim at Home Depot and cut pieces 3-4 inches wide. I try to put one under each car to keep the car setting on the frame and not the tires. I think I might try setting up the table saw to cut an angle and then rip some pieces of a 2X4 to get an angled piece for the car to set on to have a better view in the case.
mattb
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby WB2 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:21 pm

I use Alex roll around cabinets from IKEA.
I have 2” wide strips of 1/4” MDF running width-wise that car chassis rest on, keeping tires off the drawer bottom.
WB2
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby slothead » Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:19 pm

Good topic. All my cars sit on their tires all the time. Some have been in plastic bins for awhile on a piece of 1/4" hardboard with slots cut in it for their guides. About a dozen are kept in a fabric bottomed drawer thingie under my road course. The vast majority stay parked in the infield of the tracks all year long - including the times when I turn the heat off in the barn and let the temp drop to below zero. Typically this is the period from the week after the Superbowl till April.

Basically, haven't had any problems but once in awhile a car lightly sticks to the bare mdf when I go to use it. Anyone got suggestions for a good pit area surface? Something short slots could be cut in would be ideal so cars sit flat like when on the track.

I like the bases for sitting cars on and would love to buy a bunch. It just seems wasteful to have a 3D printer spending hours making them when they could be injection molded by the hundreds quickly and made available at a reasonable price.
slothead
The Doctor is IN!

Postby mattb » Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:45 am

I'd cut some strips of wood to set the cars on in the pits and keep the tires off the surface.
mattb
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby RichD » Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:29 am

All of my cars have silicone tires and those will not get deformed if the car is simply parked providing that there is nothing pushing down on the car. The same would apply to cars with urethane tires. If your cars have rubber tires those can turn to goo and when that happens they will damage plastic track or the lower part of a jewel case. The clear portion of a jewel case can get fogged up as well.
RichD
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby WB2 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:40 am

Truspeed has some nice car holders, but at roughly $2 each, the price would add up.
https://www.truspeed.co.uk/collections/ ... y-holder-1
WB2
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Dogsbody » Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:25 pm

99% of mine sit on their silicone tires on those cheap Walmart plastic shelves and about 40 are in their cases. Only downside is they get dusty - having three dogs doesn't help in that regard either. Then about 30 are in my slot box.
Dogsbody
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Broman62 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:40 pm

Thanks very much guys for all the suggestions!! I’m liking the wood strips because I have plenty of those around here and paint sticks can be used and their a dime a dozen!! :auto-layrubber: :auto-layrubber: :auto-layrubber:
Broman62
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby ra7c7er » Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:27 pm

I keep my stuff in the boxes they came in. If I feel like a tire is squished I will find a way to shim the car a bit. The cars I put on the track for the diorama are usually resting on something that just barely keeps the wheels off the ground.
ra7c7er

Next

Return to Reader's Roads