East Haven Raceway

SHOW YOUR SLOT CAR TRACK!
Photos and Descriptions of YOUR Home Layout

Re: East Haven Raceway

Postby RichD » Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:35 am

I did pick up a string of blue LEDs yesterday, I think that I will need a second string. The problem with uneven lighting is that you get a stroboscopic effect as the cars move around the track. That effect is distracting when you first run the cars, but you soon get used to it.
RichD
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby RichD » Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:07 pm

I have the lights up now, there are two strings of 50 LEDs. I screwed hooks into the floor joists to hang the lights. I would take a new picture, but the track is in its normal road course configuration right now and not all of the track lights are installed. With the only light in the room coming from the blue lights on the ceiling and the track lights the track might look better because the rest of the stuff in the basement might not be visible.
RichD
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby RichD » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:46 am

Here is the track with the blue lights on the floor joists. Since the track is in the road course configuration four light poles are not installed. Taking night shots can be tricky, usually I put the camera in shutter priority and tinker with the shutter speed to get the effect that I want. I just got a new camera and I put it in Night Landscape mode to get this shot. I had to adjust the light intensity in Photoshop to get the light level just right.

RichD
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Wolseley Hornet » Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:55 pm

Looks good,Rich.

Take your point about the alternating bright/shadow effect, although I'd guess that the eye compensates for it better than the camera does.

David.
Wolseley Hornet
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Cosmic Bilby » Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:42 am

I really like that layout!!!

Its an extremely efficient use of space.

I think H's Initial "Dixon Hills" layout was a 4'X16', thats what I've modelled my home track on....

....I think mines 4' X11', its in a single car garage, need another 5' and do something like that, its brilliant!
Cosmic Bilby
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby RichD » Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:53 am

Here is the oval track under the blue lights.

RichD
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby racer6583 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:28 am

I like the effect that the blue led give your track it's like you have the moon in your slot cave.
racer6583
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby RichD » Fri Sep 18, 2015 6:14 pm

I decided to call the oval version of the track East Haven Speedway. I have two copies of Trackmate on the computer, one for the road course and one for the oval. Here is the logo for the oval.

RichD
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby RichD » Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:20 am

I did make a few small changes in the track during the past year or so. One of the bar stools fell apart so I bought new ones with padded seats that are color coded to match the lanes, I stole that idea from the famous Area 51.

I also added color coded plaques for the driver's stations and the house controllers are color coded as well. There are now XLR connectors along with the original screw post controller connections and the fuses have been replaced with manually resettable circuit breakers.

There is now a pair of amplified speakers mounted under the driver's stations and I replaced the old Lambda power supplies with a pair of 20 amp Mastech supplies.

RichD
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby RCPhotographer » Sun Nov 22, 2015 11:52 pm

The tracks built by Paul Kniffen are some the best in the business. The details that go into building his tracks are awesome. I race with Paul and he is also a darn good racer.
RCPhotographer

Previous

Return to Reader's Roads