Cherokee point coming down.

SHOW YOUR SLOT CAR TRACK!
Photos and Descriptions of YOUR Home Layout

Cherokee point coming down.

Postby btaylor » Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:55 am

It is with both sadness and joy, that I announce the closing of Cherokee point. It has served me well for the last 5 years, and has hosted some of the biggest proxy races on our board. The first Pan Am, the R.O.AR., and has been a source of enjoyment for my friends and family. That being said, my grandkids have gotten to a point where they don't need magnet cars anymore, and my new routed wood road course handles all scales just fine, so I am Tearing down the old track to the framework, and putting in another routed wood oval. I have not decided on the number of lanes yet, minimum three, but possibly four. My available racers don't warrant any more than that.
The new track will be re opened under the old Crossroads Speedway name, and will be a representation of the Old South Dirt tracks around my area, set in a vintage era, to compliment my favorite build style. I feel the need to get back into building Jalopy's and sprint cars, and of course more midgets! might even do some early bomber cars. I have the timing system, controllers, and power supply. MDF will be picked up through the week. I need to get paint and tape yet, but those are both local buy's. So look for some upcoming pics of the new track as it progress's.

Bob
btaylor
Uncle Bob

Re: Cherokee point coming down.

Postby Mitch58 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:23 am

Enjoy the project.
I recently built a routed three lane road course with 69' lap length. It replaced a 30' Strombecker layout. I had intended to leave the old one up while I built the new one but decided there wasn't enough room to get around it. As I grew up with Strombecker there was a lot of sentimental value in the old set so it was a little sad taking it apart, but I'm sure enjoying the new one and am looking forward to starting the scenery phase during the dark damp Oregon winter.
Mitch58
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby btaylor » Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:42 am

I have followed your track build on Facebook. it looks great. I too, will miss my strombecker track, but it will go into storage, and may return someday.

Bob
btaylor
Uncle Bob

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:02 am

Well sounds like a great plan. Ovals are almost a requirement these days :)

Look forward in seeing your new one, maybe a visit is in order.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby btaylor » Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:06 am

I do miss my oval, and I sure miss building the oval cars. Wont take to long to be back up and running, I don't like letting moss grow when its time to build!
btaylor
Uncle Bob

Postby historiceng » Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:16 pm

That must have been a tough decision, sad to see the photos, but change is as good as a rest .... or something like that.

And Yey! means more Midgets and Sprints :banana-dance:
historiceng
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Gameover » Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:22 pm

sad to see it go but cant wait to see the new left turn, left turn, left turn, left turn....... :)
Gameover
Mr. Hubcaps

Postby Broman62 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:28 pm

So sad BT...I’m sure the new oval will be magnificent and once it’s up and running you’ll forget all about Cherokee Point :o :o :lol: :lol: ...good luck on the new build!!! :auto-layrubber: :auto-layrubber: :auto-layrubber:
Broman62
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby 2cool » Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:30 am

Bob

Are there still active links/pics of Cherokee point somewhere on the forum or web?

thanks

-Ed
2cool

Return to Reader's Roads