[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - DIY Adjustable Power

DIY Adjustable Power

SHOW YOUR SLOT CAR TRACK!
Photos and Descriptions of YOUR Home Layout

Re: DIY Adjustable Power

Postby tjettom » Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:19 pm

Yes, thanks for that info. I was curious if it actually had that much adjustment. That is good... Could you detect excess heat from the unit while it was at that much reduction in voltage? I always worry about overheating issues in my shop. Thanks again...
Tom
tjettom
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby chappyman66 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:25 pm

I actually don't know about heat. I have them enclosed in the circuit boxes so there isn't much airflow. I have seen boards with large heat sinks but I didn't bother. I am not running it for hours like that.....his attention span is typically an hour or so. Then I turn it back up to 10V.
chappyman66
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby tjettom » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:33 pm

I am mainly asking these questions in case others are going to build these. I am thinking someone maybe could have a heat issue but I'm not an electronics person. I had looked into doing similar and after adding cost of all components I would use, I made the choice of buying four 5 amp power supplies for not much more cost. I wish you and others doing this endeavor the best.
Regards,
Tom
tjettom
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby TuscoTodd » Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:57 am

Great write up details and pics!
:text-bravo:
TuscoTodd
HRW Bouncer

Postby chappyman66 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:10 pm

Thanks Todd, just want to help folks.
chappyman66
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby TuscoTodd » Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:01 pm

That is one of the great thing about the members on this board - everyone is more than willing to share info / details on techniques / parts / etc! It makes for a great repository of information and ideas to build off of!
:handgestures-thumbup:
TuscoTodd
HRW Bouncer

Postby RichD » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:10 am

Good work, I have bookmarked this thread. Years ago I was asked to build an adjustable voltage regulator and write an article on it, this was the result: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1zQ0nOD ... sp=sharing
I should update this since most of the Radio Shack stores have closed. If I recall correctly the parts would cost less than $15. A number of people have built these and found them to work well, one of these days I will have to see how well the regulation works when the load is changing.
RichD
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby NHBandit » Sat Sep 08, 2018 4:18 am

NHBandit

Postby RichD » Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:29 am

The cheapest thing to use is a 90 watt laptop power supply, those are regulated and are good for about 5 amps. That might be a little skimpy if you run four cars with more powerful motors, if that was a concern you could power two lanes with one supply and the other two lanes with another one.
In my experience a good regulated variable voltage power supply is a wise investment if you are going to use it for years. 30 volt units are more expensive, but you can use them to run HO tracks. A Mastech 30 volt 10 amp power supply with digital volt and amp meters is $150, if you do a Google search you might be able to find something similar for $100 or less.
Here is one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/391694935441#ht_4104wt_1362
RichD
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby NHBandit » Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:56 am

NHBandit

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:03 am

HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:09 am

HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby mattb » Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:12 am

Hard to beat a $39 adjustable power supply. Should be enough amps for most any current 1/32 cars.
mattb
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby NHBandit » Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:18 am

NHBandit

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:25 am

You are welcome. That will work nicely. It is the same supply I have on my 3 lane routed and not any trouble at all running our "normal" home type motors.

Looks like a nice layout there, great start.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

PreviousNext

Return to Reader's Roads