What is your all time favorite slot car race set?

SHOW YOUR SLOT CAR TRACK!
Photos and Descriptions of YOUR Home Layout

Re: What is your all time favorite slot car race set?

Postby Racie35 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:45 am

Eldon...was mesmerized by it
Racie35
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby mattb » Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:57 am

The 1/32 Artin is about the best 1/32 modern track I've seen. Too bad it is no longer available, also too bad more of us didn't buy some when Frank Bertrang's widow was selling the remaining inventory on Ebay!!! I did buy a couple 4 lane sets from JC Penney on an after Christmas clearance for $89 each with 4 cars.
mattb
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby RBPhillips » Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:59 am

That Artin four-laner just shouts of inverting the fastest cars outside for the final.
RBPhillips

Postby mattb » Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:46 pm

The 4 laners I got were figure "8"s. There was a lot of track in those sets.
mattb
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BIG E » Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:22 pm

Most people here know that vintage Aurora HO is my main squeeze. But... if I could have asked for any set I wanted, it would probably have been Revell's top of the line "Americana" set. $100 was a lot of money back then, but the set came with 4 cars, controllers w/brakes, heavy duty power supply, corner aprons, ect. Included were 1/32 scale replicas of an Aston Martin, Chevy Corvette, Mercedes Benz, and Ferrari sports cars. Many years later (around 1980) I found one, slightly used by a gift shop owner's kids, still with the original box and that great cover photo. He said, "ya want it? Cost a hundred bucks when it was new, and that's what it'll cost ya today". Needless to say, it went home with me. I restored and detailed all four cars, and had lots of FUN racing on that big track! I added more track later on until I had a 4 lane layout covering three 4x8 foot tables. We raced all kinds of 1/32 and 1/24 cars on it, until I finally needed the space and had to take that big baby down.
Yeah... if Dad was buyin', that would have been my choice back in the mid 1960s. I already had my $24.95 Aurora set a couple of years by then!
Great thread, and Happy Holidays. Enjoy! -- Ernie :>)
BIG E
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby carlosinseattle » Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:27 pm

AFX Speed Steer. I know slotless is not everybody's cup of tea but I loved slotless from the moment I discovered it. My best friend got an Ultra-5 set for Christmas and we "tried" to make it work but it never worked that well. The next Christmas I got an Ideal TCR set but it didn't work well either. That following summer Sears had a Speed Steer set on clearance in the toy section and for some reason I thought it would help make my TCR set work. It didn't...but it worked incredibly well. I ran the cars into the ground and had fun every click of the way.
carlosinseattle

Postby Ky.Slot Racer » Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:50 pm

my favorite not to be confused with my best would be my first :D Stromy 1963 64 because it was me and dad time every time the track was set up. I really think it was more for him. Best would be the Carrera track that got me going again 40+ years later.
Ky.Slot Racer
HRW Master Modeler

Postby 2fast4u14 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:52 pm

ELDON drag set with the 2 front engine dragsters.i have the set mint in box.
2fast4u14

Previous

Return to Reader's Roads