Show your track! - 2017

SHOW YOUR SLOT CAR TRACK!
Photos and Descriptions of YOUR Home Layout

Re: Show your track! - 2017

Postby ourwayband » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:18 pm

Wow, past tracks...Got to looking back at some ol' pictures...Well Harry you are correct,safe to say we have had a few..Everything from routed,plastic to digital..This ain't all of them either.. ;)
Not the best pictures,picture of a picture...
1st routed
2nd routed
3nd routed
Routed oval
1st digital,Carrera pro
Strombecker
revell
Carrera go
Carrera digital
And the list goes on and on....
Last edited by ourwayband on Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ourwayband
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby glasshorsevh » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:49 pm

Ok, I’m gonna post this up here so anyone limited to a 12x12 room, who also has to host a workbench, paint spray booth, gun cabinet (ammo), and an office in the same space... doesn’t get left out. This is obviously a work in progress, but I do actively participate in many proxy races and the track serves as a test bed and sees the occasional grandchild usage. Scalextric Sport on a 9x4.5 table...a little over 37’ in length with a 3” difference between lanes...

Val... We don’t have basements or attics in Tejas... I hope no one has to move back in...
glasshorsevh
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Rooster » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:50 pm

strangebrew wrote:In the spirit of posting tracks of the past.........My entry dates to 1971, located at U.S. Naval Station, Guam.
The base slot car track had been shut down & I located the Chief in charge of Special Services.
I scored a couple of cases of Mabuchi 16D's, (I still have some) a bunch of guides, threaded axles, gears, wheels & some old rubber tires.
I found some on/off type controllers & built a track in a spare room of base housing where I lived at the time.
I used drywall wall board, lead window burglar alarm tape, an old Strombecker 12V transformer & flour/water newspaper scenery.
I set it up on empty cardboard boxes. (looks like I've always been a fan of the "high banks") :D
I was building vintage modifieds before they were vintage. Maybe you can tell from the billboard on the hill,
the base magazine store carried "Stock Car Racing magazine".
I used stripped copper wire & various other stuff liberated from the electronics shop where I worked for chassis.
Bodies came from 1/25 model kits at the PX.
If you wanna' play slots cars, you can play slot cars anywhere!.... :lol:

That's just awesome strangebrew....love it!!
Rooster
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:07 pm

Now see? VAL, that Scalextric track plan has inspired me. Don't be surprised if I copy that.
-Harry

"They didn't say you couldn't" - Smokey

HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby Junior » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:09 pm

Now see? VAL, that Scalextric track plan has inspired me. Don't be surprised if I copy that.

Harry,
I know a good source for all the wacky 1/4 and short straights among other pieces.....
Just saying.
http://www.bensenvillebombers.com

I am an old man, and most people hate me. But I don't like them either so that makes it all even.
Mr. Potter
Junior
Shop Teacher

Postby VTECFOUR » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:26 pm

Here's my three-laner wood track on a 8' x 12' table.

It's a compacted configuration of Luf's long departed "upstairs Targa", my favorite of his many track builds. The elevation changes are what I really like about the track that afford a different driving dimension that's not found in most tracks.

It's quite bare looking but as I've been telling Luf for ten years now, "I'll be getting to the landscaping soon!".

It's all good.

Dan
VTECFOUR
Flare Master

Postby Broman62 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:50 pm

Hope this works with first time use of Postimage:
My 3 lane Oval...not much scenery but that’ll come eventually!!!

My 2 lane Carrera plastic track...again scenery stuff just slapped down until further work is done on it!!
HOME RACIN' GOO-GOO
Broman62
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby ccobra » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:07 am

My first track was an Aurora HO oval. At that time it was difficult to get cars and parts to really enjoy it. Then I got started on the Eldon track which I was able to make the cars from model kits purchased locally for a $!.50 to $2.00 each. With my paper route funding I was able to get more track pieces. This track was used until I routed out the wooden track.
Image[/URL][/img]
This track had several different power units being used with the last one being a computer power unit.
ccobra
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby mattb » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:00 pm

All good, real good!
pix of a few...old slot cars and tracks
http://s229.photobucket.com/user/matts65/library/
mattb
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby bobbyraz49 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:09 pm

VTECFOUR wrote:Here's my three-laner wood track on a 8' x 12' table.

It's a compacted configuration of Luf's long departed "upstairs Targa", my favorite of his many track builds. The elevation changes are what I really like about the track that afford a different driving dimension that's not found in most tracks.

It's quite bare looking but as I've been telling Luf for ten years now, "I'll be getting to the landscaping soon!".

It's all good.

Dan

Looks great. Did you use MDF ? How thick and what is the depth of the slot ? TY
bobbyraz49
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby manchvegasracer » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:30 pm

My track: Amoskeag North Race Park in Manchester, NH. Est. 2013

3 Lanes, Trackmate with deadstrip, oval/roadcourse hybrid.
Constructed with help from Dickie Pearson, Bob Bianchi, and Steve Sawtelle.

Last edited by manchvegasracer on Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
manchvegasracer
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:40 pm

Now THAT'S a pedigree.
"Never trust a quote from the internet."
--Abraham Lincoln
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby bobbyraz49 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:03 pm

bobbyraz49 wrote:
Junior wrote:Mine is routed copper tape 4 x 16, the table is on wheels so I can move it to the back of the garage and get my cars in.

Hi !
How does your copper tape track hold up ? Does the tape come up at any tine ? TY

Another question or 2 if I may. What is the color and type of paint that you used. And, how were you able to flex the MDF for elevation change?
As always.....Thank you.
bobbyraz49
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Junior » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:12 pm

Another question or 2 if I may. What is the color and type of paint that you used. And, how were you able to flex the MDF for elevation change?

The MDF flexes more than you would think and a couple of well placed screws definitely help. For my track I used black chalkboard paint but everyone has their own favorite type of paint. We use both urethane and silicone tires and both work well on my track. If you read Harry's Building Show-Me Speedway he used satin latex.
http://www.bensenvillebombers.com

I am an old man, and most people hate me. But I don't like them either so that makes it all even.
Mr. Potter
Junior
Shop Teacher

Postby VTECFOUR » Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:26 pm

bobbyraz49 wrote:
VTECFOUR wrote:Here's my three-laner wood track on a 8' x 12' table.

It's all good.

Dan

Looks great. Did you use MDF ? How thick and what is the depth of the slot ? TY

@bobbyraz49

It's been a decade but I recall the track's made from 3/8" MDF with flex in mind and a slot depth of 5/8". As Junior said something to screw the track down into something certainly helps securing things and that's what the box structure of 2 x 4's under the hill does.

Here are some links to Luf's upstairs Targa track and revamp (with videos) that this was patterned after.

http://oldslotracer.com/NewTarga1.html

http://oldslotracer.com/NewTargaScenery3.html

That was a great track.

Dan
VTECFOUR
Flare Master

PreviousNext

Return to Reader's Roads