[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 429: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Overlook Raceway Park

Overlook Raceway Park

SHOW YOUR SLOT CAR TRACK!
Photos and Descriptions of YOUR Home Layout

Re: Overlook Raceway Park

Postby chappyman66 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:48 pm

Great track and inspiration for the scenery....love your work!
chappyman66
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby slothead » Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:56 pm

Fabulous looking track! Racing on my oval is fun because I incorporated the types of signage and buildings found at local short tracks I attended. But I have not yet done any scenery work on the road course, mostly because I don't have any experience with stone walls, trees, valleys, etc. But this is very inspiring so I need to get going.
slothead
The Doctor is IN!

Re: Overlook Raceway Park - new trees

Postby dwdirks » Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:38 pm

I cut some branches off of our dogwood tree and noticed that they might make a pretty good scale model tree. So, I picked a likely looking branch with lots of crooked bends, grafted some more spindly twigs onto the main branch and ended up with this:

Then I added some tree foliage from various railroad scenery sources and ended up with a couple of larger trees for my track. Looks a bit more true to scale to me than the little HO scale ready made trees. Here are a couple of race cars passing under the new trees.

dwdirks

Postby WaltB » Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:48 pm

Outstanding work! Love the little "extra" scenes, the climbers and the mountain goat and moose are awesome additions ! Lot's of inspiration here and I really need to get myself busy.
The Large trees you made are fantastic- very realistic. :text-coolphotos:
WaltB

Postby dwdirks » Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:24 pm

dwdirks

Postby chappyman66 » Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:03 pm

That track looks like it is tremendous fun. Great job!
chappyman66
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby dreinecke » Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:53 pm

That is an awesome track! Great work!
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Postby Cgyracer » Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:03 pm

Loads of talent to do this scenery. Well done! I'll be analyzing these pictures and learning!

Rob
Cgyracer
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby TuscoTodd » Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:15 pm

That has turned out GREAT! Thanks for sharing the updates as you have gone along - great inspiration for the rest of us! :D
TuscoTodd
HRW Bouncer

Re: Overlook Raceway Park - New Figures

Postby dwdirks » Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:30 pm

To spruce up the scenery at Overlook Raceway Park I added a sport fisherman to my pond and a couple sunshade umbrellas for the video cameraman and for one of the race marshals. Here's some photos:

The race marshal at the top of the starting line straight is waving the green flag for the yellow Porsche as he stands in the shade of his Gulf Oil sponsored umbrella. The umbrella is a drink umbrella from a local Thai restaurant, painted with faded paper Gulf Oil logos applied.

The video cameraman and his assistant are positioned at the highest point of the race track. He has his camera rested on the crook of a dead tree branch for more stability and you can see his assistant in the background running to catch up to the action. His Shell Oil sponsored umbrella is also made from a small paper drink umbrella. His camera is scratch built from bits and pieces of scrap plastic.

The camera accessory bag is scratch built from bits of paper, painted to sort of look like leather and placed to lean against the umbrella pole.

I made a sport fisherman out of an old spare figure that needed some TLC. So, I chopped off his legs just below the knees, gave him a paper fishing vest and a paper hat, painted his pants to look like hip-waders and placed him in the pond near the south side. He's in the lower center of the photo.

Three Pioneer notch-back Mustangs are circling the pond on their way to the track's highest elevation point.

If you look closely at this photo you can barely see the fly fishing line (made out of very fine copper wire from an old electric motor) and the bright red fly lure at the end of the line. His fishing pole is made out a bamboo splinter. The reel is a few bits of old watch pieces cobbled together.

A closer shot of the fly fisherman, the lure is near the top left of the photo.

When he put his hip waders on, he left his boots on shore (the boots were crafted from cut cut off feet). His bucket has a couple of fish in it already and his net is nearby ready to scoop up the next fish that latches onto his lure. The bucket is crafted out a section of drinking straw with a bit of bent copper wire for a handle. The net is made from a piece of bent wire, some plastic wire insulation for the handle and a bit of wire screen for the net. I'm pretty happy with the way the fisherman turned out but I still have some work to do to get the water to look more realistic.

The lighting in this photo makes the water look a bit more realistic. Sort of looks like it's early morning or maybe very late afternoon. Hopefully, the race cars roaring past don't scare all the fish away.
dwdirks

Re: Overlook Raceway Park - fishing in the pond

Postby dwdirks » Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:50 pm

Here are a few more photos of the fisherman in the pond at Overlook Raceway Park. I had to remove one of scenic back panels in order to get a pond-level view of this guy. You'll also note the moose down in the lower left corner of the photo who seems more interested in the race cars zooming by than the guy fishing in his pond.

dwdirks

Postby dreinecke » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:34 pm

That is awesome! LOVE the moose LOL!
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Previous

Return to Reader's Roads