[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 429: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 429: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - INSANE SPEEDWAY

INSANE SPEEDWAY

SHOW YOUR SLOT CAR TRACK!
Photos and Descriptions of YOUR Home Layout

Re: INSANE SPEEDWAY

Postby midmoslts » Thu May 14, 2015 2:25 pm

Jon,

I have had to do some Saturdays lately too and then even when I am home my mind set isn't right for working on it. We have a vacation coming up and I hope that the week off helps with the funk I have fallen into.

Harry,

Now that's an offer that is hard to turn down. I could be lynched by the crowd if I did turn it down. I would love to take you up on it. We will have to get together and plan it out. First things first, I have to get the track finished. When it is finished I think a grand opening celebration could be in order.
midmoslts
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby midmoslts » Sun May 17, 2015 12:29 pm

I worked hard Friday night and Saturday morning, then Tom came over to help Saturday afternoon. Now . It's not near completed, but it is painted, braided, and bolted together. We did some rough electrical work and by 9:30 we had 2 lanes running. After all the work we have put into the track is felt great to be running laps on it. The track is green and grip is low, but it seems to be getting better already.

So far it races even better than I had imagined it would. I was worried about the inside lane being so tight on the corners at the ends of the front stretch, but it seems to balance out well. Tom ran the outside lane and I ran the inside lane with a pair of Whisper Jet cars and he would make ground on me on the back of the track, but I could get it all back on the front half. I know the grip level is going to change and that will make it race different in the end, but as of now the shorter way around the corner is slightly quicker.

Pictures coming soon and a video too if I can figure out how to post it.
midmoslts
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby midmoslts » Mon May 18, 2015 11:47 am

midmoslts
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Mon May 18, 2015 1:26 pm

Yes sir, looks like it's slot car party time :)

Well done! Glad to see Tom busy :)
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby TuscoTodd » Mon May 18, 2015 4:09 pm

That looks like a LOT of fun!!!
Congrats! :D
TuscoTodd
HRW Bouncer

Postby midmoslts » Tue May 19, 2015 8:32 pm

Have a few thousand laps in and you can see a groove starting to develop, but grip is still hard to find. I'm sure it would help if I had more rubber tire cars. Many will find it hard to believe, but I only own a few cars at this point. I have 2) 1/32 cars, 2) 1/24 cars, and 4) Whisper Jets. The whisper Jets are going to be IROC cars. I just ordered new foam tires for the Whisper's as they have sillys on them now.
midmoslts
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby dreinecke » Wed May 20, 2015 7:36 pm

Really great looking work you and The Professor put together! Can't wait to see it!
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Postby indybob007 » Thu May 21, 2015 5:48 am

Very nice layout. I love the flow of it. Some serious speed I bet. Indybob
indybob007
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby midmoslts » Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:52 am

Back from my vacation. Plan to put foam tires on the Whisper's tonight and get back to laying down rubber. My kids and I ran some laps when we got home last night. Sure is fun to drive on. Any of you interested in trying it out this weekend? Not sure I would call it the grand opening just yet as I still have plenty of work to do on it, but I don't see why we can't get together and play.
Last edited by midmoslts on Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
midmoslts
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby scatman » Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:59 pm

:music-rockout: :music-rockout: :music-rockout: :text-bravo:
scatman
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby midmoslts » Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:56 am

Just noticed that I had not posted any pictures of the track now that it is running.

:auto-driving:
midmoslts
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Thu Jun 04, 2015 5:30 pm

Looking good sir. Appears to be a fine race place :)
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby midmoslts » Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:16 pm

I had some folks that were able to make it over on Sunday to help me get my racing fix and rubber up the track some. Seems like it must be working. I installed the photo transistors under the track and had the scoring system up and running around noon. When we started running the Whisper Jets lap times were in the 6.30 range, but by the end of the day we had them down to the 6.1?? range. Then we got silly and Tom broke out a wedge car. I don't know why, but that thing put rubber down like mad. When he finished running it in a lane I put a Whisper on the same lane and was able to lap in the 5's. It was working well enough that we got out his other wedge car to run. The longer we ran them the better the grip got and the lower the lap times went. Track record at this point is 4.379 in the blue lane. I never thought the track would race cars of this type any thing near this well or see lap times this low. Now I can't help but wonder how low they will go in the end and what cars the track will race well. I know that it is built in a commercial track type style, but who knew that it would run commercial track cars this well.

Another thing that has surprised me is how smooth you have to be to get a good lap. If you over drive anything it just kills the lap time. Some of the corners look like you should be able to pack it in the corner hard, but if you do it will slow you down more than you can imagine. The corner at the end of the long straight is tricky. You find yourself feeling like you are leaving something on the table and try to drive it in harder. Then you have to go pick it up off the floor. I think it may be due to the elliptical routing, but it will take someone with more knowledge than me to make that ruling in the end. I guess I need to get some of the legendary drivers over to tell me what they think. :D
midmoslts
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby midmoslts » Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:13 pm

This just in.....New lap record 4.140
midmoslts
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby midmoslts » Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:58 am

Last edited by midmoslts on Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
midmoslts
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

PreviousNext

Return to Reader's Roads