HRW Bouncer

Re: INSANE SPEEDWAY

Postby oldtymer » Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:53 pm

Looks good ....
oldtymer
Cat Lovers Club Prez

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:26 pm

I hear engine noises already. Well done.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby midmoslts » Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:28 pm

Just let me know Bob. I'm sure we can work it out.
midmoslts
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby midmoslts » Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:34 am

Ok, I know I have been bad about posting updates the last week or so, but there has been some progress. It has been slow going working a few hours after work and mostly by myself. I have also found that it is hard to document the build as well as I would like while working alone.

Now all the sections are routed booth slot and gain. The entire track surface has been sanded with a DA sander to 180 grit. Everything was taken back apart to make the small recess on the ends for the braid to pass through. Each section is going to be braided separately so that if ever the need would arise to take it apart and move it, it could be put back together and be ready to run. Otherwise the braid would need to be replaced or repaired if it were ever taken apart.

5 of the sections have been painted and moved into the house. 3 of them have tape on them and are ready for braid to be put on. 2 of them have the braid done and have been bolted back together and put close to in place. The 14 foot straight is also painted and ready to bring in, but I'm going to wait until I have some help.
It took 3 coats of paint to get it to look the way I wanted it to look, but man dose it look good now. :o
midmoslts
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby midmoslts » Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:41 am

John Ford will be mad at me because I didn't paint the legs. Before it is brought up, I am going to skirt it. Sorry John, but I always did like legs in a skirt.
midmoslts
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:00 pm

Yes sir, good to see. What happened to that young helper of yours? I hear he does more work if slotburgers are around? :)
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby bobbyraz49 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:03 pm

Beautiful !!!
Your effort shows in the pictures !
bobbyraz49
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby dreinecke » Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:30 pm

This is awesome!,,
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Postby midmoslts » Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:39 pm

Nothing happened to my helper, but during the week it hardly seems worth it to ask him to come over and help. Week days are hard to predict as far as dinner time, things going on with the kids, ect. He has been a willing helper all along and I wouldn't be surprised if it bugs him to see some of the progress happening with out him. Truth be told it bugs me too. He has been such a great help and resource that I feel somewhat guilty when I work on it without him. The weekend is coming and I will be asking for help again. If I can keep steeling time to work on during the week it may look like a track again by Sunday night. I would say that he has earned a slot burger, but I don't want to cut in on that action. I will have to come up with my own unique thing. Something crazy. Hell maybe even Insane.

Thank you all for the kind words and comments. I know as I look at it, as it is going back together with braid on it that I can't believe this is my first build. It sure looks better than that now that it has paint on it, but I know how much Bondo is under that paint. I knew going into this that I would make some (lots) of mistakes, but I was ok with that. Taking the time to fix them properly and keeping the mind set that these things will happen has gotten me a long way. Also don't forget my helper. He has done this before. Not using some of these same building techniques, but still has experience all the same and yes if I had gone with a simple oval we would be racing by now, but would have missed out on the adventure and one hell of a track.

:auto-checkeredflag: Get ready boys, we are getting close :auto-checkeredflag:
midmoslts
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby TuscoTodd » Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:23 pm

That is one sweet looking track shaping up there! :D
TuscoTodd
HRW Bouncer

Postby midmoslts » Sat May 09, 2015 5:01 pm

I hadn't worked on the track for over a week until today. Now that that weather has been nice for a few weeks in a row I decided to take a break and do some of the other things that we enjoy doing. Took the boat out and did some camping at the lake with the kids. I was working hard to try to get it done before we got to this point of the year, but now it looks like the outdoor activities may slow progress to a crawl.

Today I did manage to get the long straight up on it's legs and braided. Now if only I could find the time to get back to work on the 4 pieces that are still on saw horses in the garage.
midmoslts
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby midmoslts » Thu May 14, 2015 11:52 am

Finally found some motivation and got back to work on the track. Yesterday I managed to cut the recess for the braid in the ends of all the remaining track sections. 3 of them got 2 coats of paint and should get the final coat tonight. The last piece has a spot that needs some Bondo. I plan to apply it tonight and sand it down tomorrow. If all goes well I should have it painted and in the house by Sunday.

Inside I have continued to work on braid and track placement. In the pictures you will see the turn around the poll is not painted. I needed to bring it in to get the track fitted in it's space. With all the odd angles it was difficult to measure and be sure it was indeed in the position I wanted it in before assembling the sections. After it was all figured out I started bolting together all the sections that were ready and now it looks like this.......

ImageImage

Cars on the track to showing the lane spacing with the different types of cars.

Still along way to go.
midmoslts
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby RazorJon » Thu May 14, 2015 12:29 pm

looking good, wish I could give you a hand but working 6 days a week is cutting into me time :text-bravo:
RazorJon
Tire Razor Guy

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Thu May 14, 2015 12:58 pm

Getting closer...well done. Maybe a big BBQ grand opening? I'll cook :)
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

PreviousNext

Return to Reader's Roads