NEED HELP

For Those Doing It Digital Style!

NEED HELP

Postby slot master » Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:52 pm

Has anyone made a 4 lane scalextric Digital raceway....... PLease help, I am stuck
slot master

Re: NEED HELP

Postby dreinecke » Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:13 pm

No, but what kind of help do you need? Layout or configuration of the Scaley digital software?
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Postby RichD » Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:44 am

I have never heard of a four lane digital Scalextric track. The lane changers will only work for two lanes. With digital all of the cars can be in the same lane, so you don't need so many lanes. You could build what would amount to two two lane digital tracks side by side that would look like a regular four lane track. Cars that were on one side would not be able to cross over to the other side, so blocking would not always be possible. If you wanted to hold actual races things might be tricky because you would be running two races in parallel.
RichD
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby slot master » Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:52 pm

I am starting with the 2 lane 6 car power base. but I want to expand use 2, 6 car power bases together to make it 4 lanes across. Then I will be going to use the Oxigen systemin about a year from now.
slot master

Postby slot master » Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:57 pm

Has anyone use Oxygen system yet.
slot master

Postby MrFlippant » Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:40 pm

It's possible to create a 4 lane sensor for one PB. I've spoken to slot master about it.
For a large layout with only 6 cars, though, it kind of defeats a lot of the fun of digital. If you've got a big-ass 4 lane track like the analog guys run, the 6 cars will spread out and barely ever interact with each other. Interaction is where the fun is. That's why analog racing is so much more fun for everyone when two or more people are racing "neck and neck", and why so many old analog tracks added things like squeezes, crossovers, and other places for the cars to potentially crash. With digital, you can share the lane and the lane changers provide a lot of interaction, but even with six cars, it can get as boring as an analog race where all the cars/drivers are of different skill levels and there's no real "racing" going on.

But, the plan to move to oXigen to accommodate more cars makes a lot of sense. 12 cars on a big 4 lane digital track would be great! :)

Oh, and the lane changers on SSD do allow expansion to more lanes. If you don't use pit lanes to expand and contract, but have 4 lanes all around, you'll need to do some power tapping to get power to all lanes, because the straight lane changers don't connect the lanes together, but they CAN be offset so that a car from lane 1 can switch over to lane 4 by going through 3 lane changers.

If the group wants more lanes so that they aren't "stuck behind the slow guy" all the time, maybe analog would be a better choice? ;-)
MrFlippant
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby MrFlippant » Sat Nov 01, 2014 4:36 pm

If you don't want to cut track, that's true.
MrFlippant
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to Digital Racing