Carrera Questions REVISTED!

For Those Doing It Digital Style!

Carrera Questions REVISTED!

Postby LAMing » Thu May 09, 2013 6:31 pm

Hi All!

Received my '69 Chargers and it appears this will be the chassis of choice for my late 50's and 60's bodied dirt cars.

A few more questions before I order some more Chargers to put under some bodies:

* Is there an easy way to widen the width (track) of the stock axles/wheels? I would sort of like a little bit of tire sticking outside of the body. Current track width places the tires/wheels completely inside the body.

* Will it hurt the lane changing capabilities to remove that centering spring on the guide flag?

* Think it would be okay to modify the guide for more swing on the '57 Chevy's and COT frames? (I note Carrera has already done this on the Mopar chassis.)

All for now... thanks in advance!

Andre
LAMing
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: Carrera Questions REVISTED!

Postby buspor63 » Sat May 11, 2013 11:09 pm

Carrera uses knurled axles to hold on the wheels. While you could.. maybe... increase the track by slipping the wheels out further, most likely you would get a wobbler or the wheel would fall off. Better, but more expensive to use aftermarket wheels, axles, bushings and tires to achieve a better result.

I remove the centering spring on all of my Carrera non mag cars. It's probably not much of a hindrance on mag cars, but non mag the spring can cause some herky jerky action in the corners.
buspor63
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Nor Cal Mike » Mon May 13, 2013 3:03 pm

Andre, If you have some COT's in your collection, try a pair of the COT tires on the classic Mopars. The rib dimensions and wheel diameters are the same on both cars. However the COT Nascar tires are lower profile and wider. It just may give you the look that you want. Also I have found that I picked up a bit of performance in my classics because of the slightly lower tire and the car's wider stance. If you like it, Carrera sells replacement tires for the COT in packages of four.
Nor Cal Mike
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby LAMing » Mon May 13, 2013 6:29 pm

Thanks fella's for some input!

I have some COT's... I tinker with some tire swapping.

FWIW: My two extra controllers arrived today. We (family) will now be able to race 4 cars at once. :banana-rock:
LAMing
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to Digital Racing