Second Digital Race - Different Fun

For Those Doing It Digital Style!

Second Digital Race - Different Fun

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:23 pm

Sorry about the pics...the camera I brought along really messed up.

So this weekend we went down to try this new Carrera digital in 1/24.

Warming up!

All I can say is that it was a BLAST. Different...but all the fun I had hoped.

From the fuel management & breakdowns, to trying to make sure you hit the changeover just right, you had to pay attention. Something that simple analog guys like myself had to get used to. But after awhile it got to be second nature and a couple of us actually had a pretty good slotfight going on!

This car alone makes me want to buy a couple!

People ask if they should go digital or analog. Well, either is fun. If you have a good group of folks to take advantage of it...it could be the way to go.

Being around the right people makes all the difference of course, and the SEMO gang along with Bibbster, Tubby, and Razor Jon made it a great weekend.

BIG thanks to Chris. What a blast...sorry about the cars. We will have to help you with that I can see.

Also THANKS Mr. & Mrs MOKID for letting me invade. I had a great time at Bottomland Speedway as always....I have a few pics of the race trailer coming up.

Fun fun fun...can't wait until next time.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Re: Second Digital Race - Different Fun

Postby Cincyslots » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:19 am

great track. I'm guessing you'll need some strong walls at the end of the straights!

Bruce
Cincyslots
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby buspor63 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:26 am

That is a loooong track! Glad you had fun, digital does open up your awareness to where other cars are, planning a pass and where not to be.
buspor63
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:29 am

I have to say that I really look forward to the oval getting done
...that will be a hoot.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby proxieken » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:58 am

Great looking track!
proxieken
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby JimD » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:43 pm

Question about the format.

From Harry's post a brief mention about the fuel and breakdowns it sounds like you were using Bruce's software?

How did did you manage deslots? Did you all stop or something else?

Did you have enough extra people to afford dedicated turn Marshall's?

Did you actually run a lap or timed race? How did it go?

Seemed like maybe there were several "new to digital" drivers there, how did that work out?

The reason I ask is that our little group has been running digital for several years now and we still just can't seem to get organized enough to run an actual race. I just today bought two 24" displays to hook up to the laptop. I'm going to hang them up so all the drivers can see one. I hope this makes way for an actual race format with fuel and mechanical turned on? It has always been the inability of all drivers to monitor fuel status that kept us from moving to an actual race format.

Sorry for the long winded question. Looks like you guys had fun, I have got to get down that way sometime!

Jim
JimD

Postby JimD » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:13 pm

Sounds like you guys had a blast!

One more question now. Did you configure the tank size for fuel the same for everyone and in ten minute heats, how many laps were you getting and how many pit stops did you need to make?

Any issues with multiple cars in the pit?

Tanks for the info!

Jim
JimD

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:15 pm

What he said. :)

For a first time...it was pretty smooth really. Aside from the carnage we caused :doh:
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby cagee13 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:44 pm

Yes the fuel tanks were configured to be the same for everyone. No real problems with multiple cars in the pit and actually never have had a problem with it. As the field starts to get spread out everyone seems to have a different fuel strategy in mind. For having a lot of new people on the track the carnage wasn't terrible, to me it compared to our clubs first real run on digital track. I have noticed every time our club has came back to my track there seems to be less and less wrecks.
cagee13
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby JimD » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:20 pm

One more thing...

It looks like everyone can see the monitor at the end of the track, is that the only way they are seeing their fuel and mechanical trouble? Or, are you using the driver displays? And, do you use a car with lights to help with the pit lane status?

A couple in our group have installed a cockpit light in the interior of the NASCAR COT so we can see the fuel status while in the pit lane.

Thanks for the info, this is going to help me once I get the monitors hung up where everyone can see one.

Jim
JimD

Postby JimD » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:21 pm

One more...

I see one controller that is yellow, is that a wired scorpius or something else?

Jim
JimD

Postby cagee13 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:57 pm

The monitor is the only way for the driver to see the status of the cars. It took a while for everyone to learn to look at the screen but once they began to remember they really haven't had any trouble running out of fuel. The tv screen displays everything needed for the driver to race. The controllers are Rubirosa controllers that are available from Cincyslots and to me they are well worth the purchase.
cagee13
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Ember » Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:03 pm

Glad to hear you had so much fun, boys. I've only ever had on crack at running digital, but it was enough to make me see the huge potential. In fact, I've just had an enquiry from a fellow wondering if I would be able to build him a scenic oval. I've suggested the only way I'd consider doing it is to use Scorpius. When I explained the possibilities it presented like being able to properly ride the wall, but then have to work your way back to the inside to pit, I think he went to his 'happy place.'

Now comes the hard work of trying work out a quote. :o Yikes!!! Hope he doesn't have a heart condition when I get to that point.
Ember
Downunder Diorama Queen

Location: South western corner of the south eastern bit of Downunder

Postby dreinecke » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:35 pm

I've run digital a few times. Interesting and fun with a group. For those that build their own cars - I can't imagine running a car I've spent days working on only to thrash it. I'd have to have major rules setup to avoid constant wrecking, and that would probably ruin it for me.

Running the stock cars on digital is alot of fun though!
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Postby cagee13 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:43 am

That is true about building cars but even running analog I know that some cars just won't see track time depending on the other drivers on the track. The first few times running the digital it does seem like a crash fest but to me that is just part of the learning curve. The first time the club ran on digital I had about 5 cars that looked terrible and now we've made it to the point where the wrecks are mostly caused by accident.

I'm getting ready to get more involved about fixing up the oval section of the track and I think once its done that will be the real gold mine. Our plans are H&R Classic Nascars, that way if a car does get destroyed for $20 you can get a replacement. We've crashed the H&Rs for years around here in our Crash n Burn series so the damage will be nothing new. LOL
cagee13
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Next

Return to Digital Racing