Front motors for Digital CarreraMarcos - Front Motor Lister

For Those Doing It Digital Style!

Front motors for Digital CarreraMarcos - Front Motor Lister

Postby Perrotoro » Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:30 pm

I have two Fly Porsche’s that run really well w the Carrera 26732 chip. Has anyone mounted chips to the front motor Fly Marcos, Lister, Corvette, Etc?
Perrotoro
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: Front motors for Digital CarreraMarcos - Front Motor Lis

Postby dw5555 » Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:33 am

How good are you at soldering? You unsolder the led from the chip and mount the board where you have the space. Then run extension wires from the board to the led to the front of the car and hot glue the led into the chassis. I've seen front motored cars done this way. Easy Peazy. :D
Dave
dw5555
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Perrotoro » Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:58 am

I very good at soldering - done over 2 dozen non Carrera cars with the carrera 26732 chip - lights too. I wonder if the 26732 will fit beneath the long shaft of a car with a front mounted motor though.
Perrotoro
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby tracyridge » Wed Jul 24, 2019 4:04 pm

I ended up moving the motor to the rear,,,_ a standard in line set up,, on my Fly panoz lmp ,corvette , and ford capri, I did not measure it but to me it did not seem that the chip would fit under the drive shaft.
plus I never had any luck getting those front motor Flys to ..ah....Fly ,,,sorry bad pun,,

john
tracyridge
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Perrotoro » Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:42 pm

Thanks John! I have teal doubts the 26732 will fit beneath the long shaft. I have two Fly rear motor Porsches that I’ve trimmed to be of two of my top performers. When you converted the Corvette to rear mount - was it a reasonably accurate conversion and does the converted corvette compare well to the rest of your fleet?
Perrotoro
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby tracyridge » Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:44 pm

yes , the Fly Vette C5R is very competitive with the other flys and carreras we run. though you will have to take a Dremel with a cut off wheel and chop out a good majority of the interior .. so the motor will fit

it is not pretty, and I'm sure others could do a nicer looking job, but it works great , definitely a better runner with the motor moved back.

John
tracyridge
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby ra7c7er » Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:52 pm

I've seen a bunch of people mount the chip on the interior tray. Of course that requires removing the led from the chip.
ra7c7er

Postby Half Fast Slotter » Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:32 pm

I have soldered in dozens of Carrera digital chips into non-Carrera cars and into pre digital era Carrera cars. Sadly I avoid front engine cars. I did a Cartrix BMW Z3 where the chip was on an angle to get the LED closer to the chassis bottom, but that was spotty at best. I have taken a body I like and moved it to a ear engine chassis.
I have not taken the step to move the engine back, and I am definitely going on cautious to chop off the LED to move it. Too chicken I guess.
Good luck, I know how many wonderful looking front engine cars are out there.
Half Fast Slotter
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby dw5555 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:44 am

On SCI in the Carrera forum, there is a digital conversion thread that has hundreds of cars converted including front engine cars. Unfortunately when the site crashed the pics were not put back on. You still might find some interesting info in the conversions though.
Dave
dw5555
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Perrotoro » Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:17 am

Great info all - thanks.
Perrotoro
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Perrotoro » Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:27 am

John, different question- what am I looking at in your picture around the guide? I’ve read and experimented only a little with guide enhancements. I usually just replace the guide but I’d like to try what you show in the pic.
Perrotoro
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby tracyridge » Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:35 am

perrotorro,
I took a piece of thin sheet styrene and glued it to the guide pin. Reason being that I was having a problem with some of my non Carrera cars , they would not reset the lane changer after passing thru it. it seems that the guide pin on Fly, scaley slot its and a few other brands we race, are thinner . with this particular car ,Fly corvette c5r, along with fattening up the guide I also thought I would try lengthen it , the styrene is flexible enough that it doesn't bind in the slot thru the curves. if it improves performance ,,,,,I'm not sure. I would have to test it with and without the "enhancement" . But it dose reset the lane changer without fail ,which was the main reason for doing it.

john
tracyridge
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Perrotoro » Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:00 am

:text-thankyouyellow:
Perrotoro
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Perrotoro » Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:18 pm

What about an Oxigen Type C chip. Think there's any chance for this chip might offset on the side the long drive shaft in the front mount Fly Saleen/Marcos/Corvette?
Perrotoro
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Perrotoro » Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:21 pm

Also, if I can mount the Oxigen chip lateral to the axial shaft, with the motor remaining in the front, will I be able to trim the front motored car to be competitive with the rear motor cars? Are front motor cars inherently problematic? Even with magnets in the rear for additional magnetraction?
Perrotoro
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to Digital Racing