DRS Lane Gate Detection Zone Length

For Those Doing It Digital Style!

DRS Lane Gate Detection Zone Length

Postby fourshipp » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:06 am

1.For those of you running DRS lane gates, what length of detection zone are you using? From my searching it seems that most are using one full straight prior to the lane change, but that was just two posts.

2. I have a double lane change on the front straight immediatly following my start/finish control unit. Can I include this control unit section in the detection zone or will it act the same as if I had a jumper to the isolated rail sections (the LG instructions caution against this)?

Thanks,

Bruce
fourshipp

Re: DRS Lane Gate Detection Zone Length

Postby kidvoltage » Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:09 am

It will not work without modifying the CU section BUT it will work fine if the CU section is modified.

Power wires feeding the CU section rails need to be disconnected and run to the section ahead of the isolation zone.
kidvoltage
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby fourshipp » Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:26 am

Thanks, Monte.

Any thoughts on detection zone length from the peanut gallery? Thank you.

Bruce
fourshipp

Postby kidvoltage » Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:06 am

It can depend on the location and the "travel speed". A half straight can work in lower speed sections but higher speed would ones usually need a full straight, likewise 1:24 scale cars would need the longer zone.
kidvoltage
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby fourshipp » Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:53 am

Thanks, Monte. The initial solution was to move then pit lane to the back stretch. This allows me to move the front straight lane change one section closer to the first turn and gives me a straight section between the LC and the CU.

The problem is that now the pit entrance is coming off an R4 180 degree turn. It did come after an R1 R2 hairpin. There were very few if any deslots entering the pits off the hairpin. We have to slow considerably off the big 180 to not crash going into the pits now. We will see how that works out.
fourshipp

Postby edmagner » Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:58 am

After a lot of experimentation, I finally settled on 1 full straight section as a rule of thumb for a detection zone - the L/C in the middle of my 26 ft straight is the worst case, as the overtaking speed between a fast D132 and a ghost car is worse at that point. D124's are longer from the LED to the front of the car so they are further into the wreck before the LC knows it. I plan them as a full straight and then adjust as needed...
edmagner

Postby fourshipp » Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:23 pm

Thanks. Installing them tonight as we watch hockey. Go Jets!
fourshipp

Postby BRS Hobbies » Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:58 pm

I agree one full straight is ideal but can get by with a 1/2 straight if it's a slower part of the track.

Brian
BRS Hobbies
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby fourshipp » Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:17 pm

Wow! What an improvement lane gates make. After getting my jumpers installed last night I programmed four ghost cars and went to town. What a hoot getting stuck behind two gohst cars running side by side for multiple laps. It was great running 20-30 laps with no crashes! I’m looking forward to the first race night with the gates installed.
fourshipp

Return to Digital Racing