Carrera D124 Motor Replacement

For Those Doing It Digital Style!

Carrera D124 Motor Replacement

Postby dw5555 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:20 pm

I started doing the 12V motors swaps when I first got into the 1/24 cars years ago because all I had was the std 13.8V walwart and didn't want to upgrade to the 18V Carrera PS. I didn't plan on it becoming an addiction and with the addition of an adjustable PS I thought it was a moot point. The problem is the differences in Carrera's motors and everyone elses. The power just wasn't there. I run PM Fox 10 motors in about 70% of my cars with an assortment of other motors in the rest just trying out some and having some lying around. The main reason was cost. At $7.50 a motor it was the cheapest out there and it had more power than stock. All you need for the conversion is the motor and new motor screws.
The obvious difference is the size of the motor and the motor screws holes are narrower on the 12V motors. All you do is either oblong the screw holes on the pod towards the inside using a round file or just cut out a slot like I did in the pics. The cut slot it turns out makes more sense to me as you can adjust the gear mesh. Oblonging the hole is a little more difficult trying to get each side the same. The motor screws with the washers holds the motor in place without any further support. I initially made brass motor plates to go over the front of the motor for added support but I stopped after the 1st 4 and haven't done them since. All these years and I have never had a pod break or motor come loose.

I'm going to be doing a drive ability test comparing a few different motors in the near future.
Dave
dw5555
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to Digital Racing