Slot.it cars with Carrera Chip issues

For Those Doing It Digital Style!

Slot.it cars with Carrera Chip issues

Postby Slot_It_bob » Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:12 pm

So i chipped one of my cars so i could try digital racing. The car runs herky jerky especially when yo first pull the trigger. Then after roughly three minutes into the race the car stopped. Applying power directly to the motor shows the motor is okay. But power through the chip in digital mode ir analog and the motor fails to run. One thing i noticed on the Carrera cars is they have a capcitor or such spanning the motor power tabs which i did not have on my car. Ive heard this is reffered to as the “H” man? Could be causing the poor driving conditions and chip failure? I e noticed the newer Slot.it cars have this installed on the motor.
Slot_It_bob
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: Slot.it cars with Carrera Chip issues

Postby tracyridge » Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:08 am

hey bob.
I have 4 slot its with Carrera chips . and I have had at least part of your problem also. The herky jerkies. not only with slot its though , Fly and scaleys cars to. In my cases I cleaned up the contact braids , and adjusted them , sorta fan them out alittle . and it seemed to help. What type of track do you race on ? I ask because I "think " part of my problem was I have a wood track, no magnets, and I wonder if not having the benefit of the magnet pulling the car down to the track and hence making better contact between the copper tape and the braids on the car has something to do with it... just my 1 and 1/2 cents.

john
tracyridge
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby b.yingling » Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:01 pm

I am not sure what I am looking at in the picture you posted (it's blurry), but it appears you have soldered the leads such that the chip is attached right at the motor? I can see the leads coming from the front of the car, and it doesn't look as if there would be enough room for the chip in the unpictured part of the chassis, so what exactly am I looking at? It doesn't even look like a Carrera chip? I don't know if where this chip appears to be mounted may be your problem?

If all the solder connections are clean and tidy, the only driving problems I have had with slot.it cars and the Carrera chip have all been rendered moot by checking/changing/tweaking the braids. And then checking the braids again. And maybe once again. I have some cars with copper, some with tinned, and some with their stock braids. Each of these is such because it performs best with whats now there. I don't know why they seem so much more finicky than Carrera cars in regards to their braids and digital performance, but they definitely are. Might have something to do with those four contact patches on stock Carrera braid.
b.yingling
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby David C » Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:59 pm

The chassis pictured does not have a Carrera chip installed in it; what kind of chip did you use and please include a photo for the chip are you installed it.
David C

Postby Slot_It_bob » Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:23 pm

The chip was installed in a racer sideways 935 as pictured.
I was also asking about the circuit that is standard on Slot.it car motors
As shown above.
Slot_It_bob
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby MrFlippant » Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:00 pm

While I'm no expert in Carrera Digital, I do know their motors tend to have a variety of resistors and such on the motor that the motor wires are connected to from the chip, AND that filtering noise created by a motor is important for Scalextric Digital chips. The "H" man is actually the "Ferrite Man" and is a combination of a capacitor and a ferrite bead that is connected to the motor. the leads are then connected to the cap legs, on the chip side of the bead. This creates a low-pass filter that helps reduce back EMF from the motor confusing the chip. I would imagine that the bits on most Carrera motors are serving this purpose. Similarly, the tiny little chip on the new Slot.it motor in the first photo is an "on board" version of the ferrite man. If you remove those, and/or do not install something similar on your chipped car, it's not surprising that it's not behaving.

I didn't realize Sideways cars were shipping with plastic pinions, so didn't immediate recognize that as a Sideways car. Or maybe you changed it? Anyway, get a Ferrite Man on that motor somehow, then fiddle with your braids. Carrera cars are HEAVY, especially in the front end, compared to the likes of Sideways cars. Your braids will need to be correctly shaped for the track you're racing it on. It might also help to toss a little lead up front, if your specs allow it.

Good luck!
MrFlippant
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Slot_It_bob » Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:58 am

Great information. Thank you!
Bob
Slot_It_bob
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby RichD » Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:34 pm

Carrera cars have an RFI filter connected to the motor, so do Scalextreic cars, in both cases without the filters the hash that the motor generates can get fed back to the chip and cause it to be confused. I do not beliewe that the chip would be damaged, but it may not operate correctly. Scalextric digital cars have a second set of RFI filters between the guide flag and the chip.
RichD
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Slot_It_bob » Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:17 pm

Thanks for the info Rich.
Any suggestions on making this filter for non equipped motors?
Slot_It_bob
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby RichD » Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:57 am

I don't do digital, so I have never seen the inside of a Carrera digital car. The regular cars have a RFI filter to comply with European regulations, older cars had chokes and capacitors connected directly to the motor, the newer ones only have capacitors connected to the motor, the chokes are located on a small circuit board that also includes a reversing switch.
RichD
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby R/TRandy » Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:03 am

When I first started chipping other brands of cars to Carrera digital they were sometimes hesitant and twitchy.
I tried other types of braids, but what worked for me was using Carrera braids. This for me solved this problem.
It maybe issues with the stainless rails Carrera has and their braids work better with it.

Randy
R/TRandy
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby b.yingling » Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:13 am

So that makes two of us in this thread who actually use carrera digital and we both suggest braids as the possible cure.
b.yingling
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Cincyslots » Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:25 am

I’m looking forward to seeing your car run at the shop Thursday. I have 2 Slot.it cars chipped, 956 and an Opel DTM. The Porsche ran fine from the start. The Opel was a little hurky jerky. As Bruce #1 said, the braids. I left the stock braid but added a slight curl at the end. I think the Slot.it braid is so thin, it does make good contact. On the wood track Bob runs on, flat braid works perfectly. On plastic, not so much. So, once I added the curl, the Opel has run as it should.

Bruce
Cincyslots
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby 32lbking » Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:36 am

I have 1 slotit 956 with stock orange endbell motor that I chipped and have had no issues[ using the OLD style 26732 chip].
I have been mainly running D/124 cars for the past 3+ years though.
The Carrera 124 cars do not have the diode/filter/capacitors or whatever they are that are on the 1/32nd cars. I have swapped a few motors for 24k Carrera tuning motors, professor motor pmtr1032 fox motor [around 24- 25k], and the RMS 30K motors. No problems with any of those either, however the D/124 chips are different from the D/132 chip.
I'm running on Carrera track with mainly Carrera braid.
Every once in a blue moon I may get some stuttering or the car slows down a little, and the problem has always been the braid getting worn/frayed or dirty. I clean the braid with Voodoo juice and cut of the frayed part of the braid with scissors[until it gets too short to use] and rebend and spread the tips of the braid.Because the Carrera braid has the double contacts it can be cut quite short before having to be replaced.
Randy
32lbking
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Slot_It_bob » Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:08 pm

I am happy to report that I ran my chipped car the other night and it ran well.
I did weight the front of the car and added a “ferrite man” to the motor.
I did NOT curl the braids. Thanks for the reponses.
Bob
Slot_It_bob
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Next

Return to Digital Racing