[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Carrera or Scalextric Digital

Carrera or Scalextric Digital

For Those Doing It Digital Style!

Re: Carrera or Scalextric Digital

Postby rolo9th » Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:45 pm

I chose Scalextric Digital because I don't race 1/24, I liked the smaller footprint the track has, and I am not a fan of thumb plunger type controllers. Plus, I like the Race Management Systems available better for it. Also, I am not a fan of the look of the Carrera track aprons and barriers. Picky, I know, but it is what it is.

I initially tried the setup that GRUNZ described, the Advanced Power Base and aftermarket software. I could never get it to work right, and grew very frustrated with it. However, I picked up an ARC PRO set, and with the MAGIC-aftermarket app for it, and I am very pleased. For me and my purposes, it provides just about everything I want out of a digital set up: Fuel, tires, ghost cars, lap counting, timing, etc. And as a bonus, for a guy like me that has a technological cloud of death hovering above them at all times (for real, I can have issues with calculators), it has been easy to learn and relatively trouble free. Plus I like the wireless controllers.

I think either Carrera or Scalextric is a fine choice...it all depends on your priorities. As others have mentioned, if everyone around you is Brand A, and you go Brand B, it can be tough to get converts or folks to invest in 2 types of cars/chips. Local availability of a hobby shop and what it stocks helps to make a decision, too. If you want to race 1/24 as well as 1/32, then your decision is made for you.
rolo9th

Postby tracyridge » Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:00 pm

I have been in the hobby almost 20 years , started with scalxtric track, moved to making my own routed track … and 3 years ago went with Carrera digital, integrated into a wood track. I choose them because at that time I thought they had the best system and because my local hobby store carried them , alas it is now closed :( . But anyway, I like the wider lane spacing to. I use the HSSRMS software for my race control.
I have to say that the HSSRMS software is great , and customer support is top notch . All in all I am happy with Carrera, no regrets.
As far as the cost of putting digital chips in analog cars …. I had more then a few shelf queens just taking up space , so I sold them to finance the purchasing of chips.

John
tracyridge
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby buspor63 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:10 pm

Like "Tracyridge" above, I routed a track and put Carrera hardware into it. Several friends in town also had Carrera plastic tracks so we now have a good group. I real enjoy the Yingling race management to enrichen the experience. My track is 7X14 and folds down from the wall, we run 1/24 cars too.
buspor63
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Perrotoro » Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:04 pm

Like KidVoltage, I went with Carrera thinking I might like to try 124 in the future. I am confined for space a bit, due to the larger track pieces but am very satisfied. I like that the Scalextric DPR cars can be converted to Carrera so easily with the Carson chip.
Perrotoro
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Perrotoro » Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:11 pm

Perrotoro
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby tracyridge » Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:11 pm

its more like incorporating the Carrera track to the wood.. I cut out the mdf board with a jig saw where the lane changes tracks would go. then disconnect the power control unit from the Carrera track it comes with and wired it to the copper taped lanes ,in multiply spots. I am using the standard Carrera plunger controllers.
I would think that this would also work using scalxtric digital instead of Carrera

john
tracyridge
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby buspor63 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:48 pm

buspor63
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Perrotoro » Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:13 pm

Dang - I'm drooling - awesome is an understatement!
Perrotoro
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Perrotoro » Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:14 pm

Perrotoro
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Nevadazielmeister » Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:25 pm

So as the Original Poster (OP) I thought I would give an update. Appears I am going toward Scalextric but am possibly having second thoughts. I purchased the ARC Pro Sunset Speedway and the cars were found inside the intact packaging damaged upon delivery. One did not even work. I had notified the vendor and then was contacted by Scalextric and still nothing. It was like the cars were thrown in the box area and two were not secured, and the one that was had a chassis section ripped out. It works, but is missing a piece of the floor of the car. I only have two cars to work with.

Meanwhile, I get the cars to work and lanes switching works well. I get the ARC App to connect but then find problems with lap counting. I fired off another email to Scalextric and no word since the email this morning. This prompted me to start shopping Carrera but I just can't seem to find any track layout software that works well on my Mac. I finally figured out on my own that I had to change positions with the ARC power base being so close to the corner. The Scalextric power base sensor seems to want to have a straight before the cars arrive there to count laps.

Are these issues you guys are finding with Carrera? Also, is the Carrera products more expensive? My brief research shows that Carrera costs more, but does that mean they are a better workmanship? Also, any idea where Carrera products are made? (Scalextric is made in China - FYI.)

I had already mapped out a Scalextric track for a 4x13 build in the garage:

PROPOSED Spaghetti Western International JPEG.jpg

Does anyone believe I could do the same thing with Carrera given that Carrera's track are 1/24 scale?
Nevadazielmeister

Postby GRUNZ » Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:08 pm

Sorry to hear about the damaged cars. But that is a very rare exception: I do not remember reading of a similar incident in my 4 years of interest in slotcar.
All the track pieces that have a sensor need the car to be straight to work properly: this allows the IR led on the car to be aligned with the sensor in the slot.
I do not think that you can squeeze so much carrera track in that space but I might be wrong.
GRUNZ
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby patwa » Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:08 am

I am a Scaley guy, and would recommend that system if you are not into 1/24 scale.
It does everything you want with a minimum of fuss. I have never had a problem with any cars or parts.
Just a hint on your track layout. I would not put a lane change at the end of a long straight, as the cars are travelling to fast for a smooth and reliable lane change.
Cheers.
patwa
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby GRUNZ » Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:14 am

But at the end of the straight it is also where your braking zone is...you just need to brake a bit earlier to be able to change without deslotting.
GRUNZ
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby arroldn » Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:27 pm

Looking at your layout. I have a 6x12 table. Question, you are using Arc Pro. Which Pro doesn't work with curved lane changers? I have the 6 car first digital system sitting in a box. I was hoping to have ghost cars. This system didn't do that. I still race mainly alone and was considering Arc Air. I don't see the need for Arc Air Pro since it is just me. Not sure if I'll even bother putting lane changers in the track anyway. This may have been answered in another thread.
arroldn
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Fathead59 » Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:02 pm

I have a few Carrera chassis that I will be using for builds . there is a switch on the underside of the chassis . Can anyone tell me what that switch is used for . If it is for directional use , can't the wires to the braids be swapped to make it going the other direction ? And does anyone want the chip and switch ? I have Scaletrix track that will be used with their wireless system . And I can retro fit the Scaletrix chip if I run these cars
Fathead59
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

PreviousNext

Return to Digital Racing