Re: lane gate acting crazy detection zone too long

For Those Doing It Digital Style!

Postby anthonyalonso » Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:11 am

We have a DRS left lanegate that is acting crazy. Green light (detection zone) goes out when car is in detection zone but then stays out until car goes ten track sections PAST the zone then green light comes back on and other cars can then change lanes. This happens whether we pull the black jumper out of the exit section or not. Cannot pull red jumper as this causes the lane to go completely dead. Any ideas? We are using a full straight for the zone with the male tab pulled out where needed per instructions.

Tom
anthonyalonso

Postby edmagner » Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:31 am

Tom

It can definitely be tricky to integrate detection zones with jumpers and not end up with dead spots. You definitely do need to remove all of the jumpers the instructions say you need to remove for each type of lane changer. If doing that ends up with dead spots, you need to run an extra jumper for the dead section. It get worse when LC's are closer together. I ended up doing a full diagram of power and detection zones - 10 lane changers with lane gates and 120 ft of track..

I will also admit that more than once I got confused with left and right looking at the bottom side of the track versus the top - double lane changes were somehow easier for me. I also got a LH circuit board mixed up with a RH board once..

Good luck..it's all attention to detail

Cheers

Ed
edmagner

Re: Re: lane gate acting crazy detection zone too long

Postby edmagner » Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:42 am

Tom

Reading what you said again....I think not taking the red jumper is tying the detection zone past the changer. The detection zone needs to be completely isolated on both sides of the changer..if its dead on the back side when you remove it, you need to run a jumper to the backside. Everything I said above is still valid.

Cheers

Ed
edmagner

Postby anthonyalonso » Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:10 pm

Thanks Ed,
Yea, its been crazy trying to figure it out. We have 134 pieces of track with 7 changers and just installed 7 gates. Taken the track apart dozens of times swapping jumpers and testing etc. Monte at DRS wants photos of what I have and what I have done. Will try to come up with some to figure this out. All are ok except this left that leads into a group of left changers that have no power to them. We use them to enter and exit from oval to road course. Just manually flip the gate open or closed. (circuit board pulled from rails) These changers is where the green light comes back on. These no power changers do have jumpers in the exit portion and I am wondering if that is the problem . Been fun trying to figure out and love the gates ! Trying to stay positive as at least 6 of 7 turned out !

Thanks for all your help, Ed!!
Tom
anthonyalonso

Postby anthonyalonso » Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:58 am

Got her fixed Ed! I kept getting a dead lane after the changer with gate so I had to jump the outside lane to the inside lane on the first piece of track after the changer. I kept getting inside the exit portion of the changer and messing with the red and black jumpers but like you said the red and black jumpers inside the exit section must be as instructed by DRS . Then I FINALLY realized it was the piece AFTER the changer that needed jumped. I am so stupid but feel great now that I finally get it! Had nothing to do with our merging powerless lane changers.
Tom
anthonyalonso

Return to Digital Racing