Carrera Control Unit Switch

For Those Doing It Digital Style!

Carrera Control Unit Switch

Postby Perrotoro » Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:00 pm

My on/off Carrera Control Unit switch is a little touchy after a year's use. I move it all the way to the right and then back to the left before I get the "all good to go" tone. Any easy fixes?

Thanks
Perrotoro
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: Carrera Control Unit Switch

Postby anthonyalonso » Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:45 pm

Yea, Control unit is cheap!! The START button on ours aint worth a crap! Broke lots of car parts due to trying to stop a race with ghost cars and the CU button failing! Old BB red button was much better! CU are garbage! Unless you want all the pit stop features and drivers displays which are all useless to us!
anthonyalonso

Postby Cincyslots » Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:07 am

Well, if your option is to replace it anyhow, why not open it up and see if there's an easy fix. If you screw it up, you were getting a new one anyhow. If you find a fix, you just saved $70 bucks. I've been using mine for 6-7 years. Like any product for sale today, some will work as they should and some will be lemons unfortunately.

Bruce
Cincyslots
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Drewbert34 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:06 am

A couple of ideas:

1. Outlet plugs are available with motion detection. There's bound to be a way for you to cut your track on/off by cutting power while leaving the switch in the on position. I do this now, but have tied my Carrera room into my whole home automation. I walk in the room, everything cuts on.

...for track calls

2. Open the C.U. and solder wires to 2 of the 8 joints where the start button is connected to the board. As long as you use 1 up / 1 down, it won't matter which 2 of the 8 you select. Run those wires to a 3.5mm mono female recepticle and mount inside your CU so that you can plug in a 3.5mm male splitter. From there, connect whatever momentary switches you choose.
Drewbert34
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Perrotoro » Thu May 03, 2018 9:43 am

Thanks all. Feeling pretty dumb about not simply turning off surge protector. I can locate it to a more user-friendly position and leave the CU on.
Perrotoro
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to Digital Racing