[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - new routed digital track taking shape

new routed digital track taking shape

For Those Doing It Digital Style!

new routed digital track taking shape

Postby tracyridge » Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:37 pm

Hi all
After getting some good advice on this message board about a routed digital track plan I had posted a couple of weeks ago, I revamped my plan, using some of that advice and the advice of my buddies who will be racing on it. And after the dust had settled this is what I came up with..

this is pit row
the end of the 17ft straight
I used 3/4 particle board, the table is 21' 3" long x 4' wide. no two turns are the same , the 180 at the end of the long straight is a decreasing radius ..up hill . then a slightly banked uphill 90, the an off camber down hill 90 , then into a banked 180, i use the term banked loosely, 3/4 particle board dose not bend easy even with under cutting! Lane spacing is 4' and up to 5' in a couple of spots.
wiring is next on the list ....can't wait to test this out!!

Thanks for looking
john
tracyridge
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: new routed digital track taking shape

Postby FC47 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:03 pm

Looking good, keep us up on seeing it run!
Those corners sound like they'll be fun to drive.
FC47
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Lou E » Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:17 pm

That looks really cool, keep us posted!
Lou E
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby bobbyraz49 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:59 pm

Great effort. Anxious to see the progress.
bobbyraz49
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby b.yingling » Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:16 pm

I remember the thread from a week or two ago- you're moving fast! Of course you're at a point now where you can't work fast enough, because you're itching to take that maiden lap.
b.yingling
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby buspor63 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:54 pm

Looks great! Now where are you located, when's opening night and are you providing refreshments? LOL
buspor63
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby bobbyraz49 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:26 am

Looks great. What process did you use to apply the copper tape ? I saw some sort of tool for laying copper tape, but I can't find where to buy or borrow. Thanks and keep up the good job.
bobbyraz49
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby chappyman66 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:54 am

There are plans for the tape laying tool. I built mine from plywood in about an hour and will be taping my third track with it this weekend. You can get fancy for sure, but a basic tool is easy to build. The biggest thing is to burnish it really well after it's laid.
chappyman66
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby 73emgee » Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:54 am

Excellent job integrating wood with digital. Looks like a fun track, well executed.
73emgee
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby dw5555 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:53 am

Looks like 3 L/C and a pit? Its gonna be a fast track. Looks great. :text-bravo:

Dave
dw5555
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby tracyridge » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:37 am

Thank you gentlemen for the kind and encouraging words!
I applied the copper tape the old fashion way , took off my glasses { cause i'm old :violin: } and used my two left hands ! :roll:
...And yes 3 lane changes and the pits.. Hoping to find some time this weekend to finish up the wiring , and TEST IT OUT!!!

John
tracyridge
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: new routed digital track taking shape NEW PICS

Postby tracyridge » Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:49 am

Hi all!
Thought I would take a little break from the work and post some pics of my progress.
this is the end of the long 18' straight the pits are to the left , and you can see the race fans starting to fill up the trackside camping sites.

this is a shot of the pit entrance /start finish line heading up hill . the flag stand is scratch built from bass wood ,the pit box is just under 3ft long and is made out of foam core board .

this is a shot from the un finished end.. the grandstand needs some work , and we have to make space for all the vendors .

a couple of overall shots,, lots of loose ends here , molding, some more pictures and i gotta get those empty spaces on the shelfs filled with cars!
down hill thru the esses
a closer shot of the pits
a shot of the tunnel leading to the grandstand and vendor row.
The retaining walls and overpass were done with scrap pieces of 1/4 plywood which i covered with a very thin coat of cheap latex chalk then using the blunt end of small paint brush ,traced the mortor lines in the caulk , let it dry , then painted it gray ,let dry, then did the mortor lines in black. . Most of the red and white gaurd rails are foam core board ,cut into 1" inch strips then striped with magic marker.
I used the ones supplied with the Carrera set I bought in the esses or where it needed to curve drastically .
The wire fencing is 2" wide mesh dry wall tape. which i spray painted silver , and super glued to dowels .
All of the "grass" and " sand" used for ground cover , was saw dust that i collected during the routing and construction phase , then colored green with watered down tempra paint .
The track itself is proving to be quite a blast to race on , and its been quite a blast building it to!
thanks for looking

John
tracyridge
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby dw5555 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:49 pm

John that looks great and in such a short time too. Good job. :music-rockout:

Dave
dw5555
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: new routed digital track taking shape NEW PICS

Postby b.yingling » Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:07 am

b.yingling
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BRS Hobbies » Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:37 am

The track looks great! Nice idea on putting the car shelves on the sides of the table.

Best regards,
Brian
BRS Hobbies
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Next

Return to Digital Racing