[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Questions about Carerra Digital

Questions about Carerra Digital

For Those Doing It Digital Style!

Questions about Carerra Digital

Postby sugars_revenge_33x » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:48 am

I'm thinking about adding more functionality to my basic digital layout.
I have a few questions.
1. I'm wondering if its possible to use the pc interface with the 30344 black box.
2. I want to upgrade controllers to maybe the ramjet trigger style. Will these work with the black box and can I expand it to run 6 cars?
3. I noticed there is an aftermarket cable available to use my variable power supply. What is the advantage to this upgrade on a digital layout?
$. Also might want to add the pit lane feature later. Will it work with the black box since I'll be using the pc lap counter?

One last thing. What modifications can be made to the digital cars without affecting the performance as to how the lane changers function etc. I would like to be able to tune them and run weight vs magnets. Is this possible? I do have banked turns.

Thanks for any help. I just want to be sure I'm ordering components that will work together as it will be a pretty decent sum of money tied up when I'm done.
sugars_revenge_33x

Re: Questions about Carerra Digital

Postby b.yingling » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:57 am

While you can use the PC cable with a Black Box system- you'd have to buy an old, 30342 model lap counter. On a Black Box system, that's where the PC cable plugs in. It doesn't plug into the port on the Black Box. Unless you already have one, or one of them (the 30342) can be found really, really cheap- like free- it really isn't worth it. Just buy a Control Unit and you can get on screen fuel, the ability to change the speed, brake and tank from software and a whole, whole lot more. If you add a pit lane, with the CU you get Real Mode: the car drives differently depending on fuel load. And still more.

Aftermarket power is definitely worthwhile if you run more than a few cars at a time. More stable power delivery means lane changers will work better, cars will run smoother- no downside.

The pit lane will work with the Black Box- but again, when using a BB as your power base, there is no way to track fuel use even with software. A car's lights flash when it's getting low, and they stop flashing when you're full in the pit lane, and that's the only fuel information you will ever see.

In short: if you want to expand and improve your Carrera digital experience, buy a Control Unit before you do anything else.

Not entirely sure about the Ramjet, but I can think of no reason why they wouldn't work. Best to confirm with the manufacturer before purchase. If you've got room for a Ramjet in your slot budget- I'd again recommend buying a Control Unit as your first digital upgrade. While it will make little immediate difference w/o other purchases (such as PC cable or pit lane or driver displays or app connect or.....) it does open a world of possibility.
b.yingling
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby 32lbking » Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:43 pm

To add to what Bruce said; if using an adjustable power supply be sure to install an inline fuse in the positive wire between the power supply and black box or control unit [just automotive type available at any auto parts store]. The black box will handle 6amps and the control unit will handle 8 amps. Best to use a 1 amp smaller fuse [5a for BB, or 7a for CU]. This will prevent damage to the BB or CU in case of a short on the track.
What I did for a cable is cut the connector off of the Carrera PS and and connect it to the supply wires [be sure it is + to + and - to -] that go to the adjustable PS using whatever kind of connector you want. The wire with the stripe is positive. If you think you may want to use your Carrera PS at some time in the future put the same connectors on those wires too.
As far as tuning the cars go you can do anything to them you can do to an analog car with the exception of some of the shallower guides. The guide is what trips a manual trigger in the lane changer to return the Lane Changer to go straight.
Motors up to 36k have been used without damaging the digital chip. The only exception might be the formula 1 chip[#26742 which have been reported to not be as robust as the other chips].
So you can remove mags, add weight, change gears, or whatever as long as there is room for the chip.
Randy
32lbking
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby sugars_revenge_33x » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:06 pm

Good info!
I appreciate the input.
sugars_revenge_33x

Postby sugars_revenge_33x » Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:26 pm

Welp. Ordered up a CU and the professor motor cable to use my power supply. Now I just need to get a pc interface cable and upload the software. suggestions?
Still got to make a decision about the controllers but that can come later.
I've been thinking of going with the scalextric nascars with the carson chip (oval layout). I'll have to come up with a replacement guide to avoid the switching problem I guess. The Carrera COT cars seem hard to come by these days.
sugars_revenge_33x

Postby kidvoltage » Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:49 pm

RamJet-X controllers are plug'n'play with your digital system.
kidvoltage
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby sugars_revenge_33x » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:42 am

Yeah. Probably going with the ramjet controllers. Going to be a chunk of change.
sugars_revenge_33x

Postby buspor63 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:52 pm

Just as a point of reference, the Scalextric/Carson combo will cost about $80 a car. Since I already have many Carrera NASCAR cars, I don't know what they've been selling for.
buspor63
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby carlosinseattle » Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:42 am

Good luck and have fun!
carlosinseattle

Postby sugars_revenge_33x » Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:21 am

Thanks for all the input.
Got my track up and going with Bruce's software. Still learning all the features and functions. We are going to run the Scalextric cars with carson chips. I'm pretty happy with the way they run non-mag.
Going to run the Carrera vintage nascars too as an cheaper/different class. Got one of the newer cars on the way for testing. Hopefully its non-mag friendly on my track as well.

Not a big fan of the Ramjet controller. It is a HUGE improvement over the stock controllers but doesn't feel as smooth as my analog professor motor controllers. May just take some getting used to.

Quick question.
How does Bruce's software determine fuel usage?
In other words, Does the car specs affect it or is it just a lap based consumption/ predetermined calculation?
I'm wondering if de-tuning a car will make it "conserve" fuel.

Also, does the pit stop sensor track section have to be placed directly across from the CU to work? I think on my layout it would work better farther down the straight away.
sugars_revenge_33x

Postby Czar » Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:17 am

Sugars, you can put the pit lane anywhere you want to in the circuit. If it is not lined up with the CU, make sure you turn off lap counting function for the pit lane, or you will score a "bonus" lap every time you pit. Sorry, can't help with your other question.
Czar
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby proxieken » Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:41 am

You can adjust tank size in the car and make cars have to pit more often.

I have no data on this, but it seems to me the more magnets used on the car the more it seems to need fuel. I am almost certain it is not just a "20 laps till empty" calculation. I seem to have some cars able to run a few more or less before needing to stop.

My guess is that the control unit measures actual amps used or something like that.
proxieken
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby b.yingling » Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:08 pm

Bruce's software doesn't determine fuel usage. All it does is display the information reported by the CU.

The CU calculates fuel use, and the more throttle you apply, the more fuel you burn. The exact formula isn't known, and it has changed over the years with different versions of the CU firmware. But more throttle on the controller means more fuel burned. Proxiekens heavy magnet car described above needs more fuel because you feed a heavy magnet car more throttle.

You can adjust tank size using software or the CU, and you will get more or fewer laps accordingly. If you have a CU with firmware v5.336 or later, a small tank will fill faster. On earlier versions of CU firmware, all tank sizes always took the same amount of time to fill.

Also worth pointing out- when you move the fuel switch all the way to 'Real' fuel mode (not just 'On'), a car with a full tank of fuel is slower and less responsive than a car with an almost empty tank. I never see user's talk about this online, and I think it is one of the better features of Carrera digital. In my mind, they nailed it. Just the right amount of difference between a full tank and one with only 10% fuel left. Which translates to a small- but noticeable- difference in lap times.
b.yingling
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby sugars_revenge_33x » Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:47 am

sugars_revenge_33x

Postby kidvoltage » Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:54 am

It's mentioned in the manual.

Someone will have this, I'm on the road or I could explain it better. Just did this the other day and only took me 4 tries. Guess it took that many tries to read the instruction correctly. Basically you change the setting for the lap counter using the console. Hold down the start button and turn on the unit. The setting will be one light is on, two is off or vice versa. REMEMBER to run a car across the PIT LANE as part of the process or it WILL NOT work. That's why it took this dummy four tries, I kept running the car across the START LINE.
kidvoltage
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Next

Return to Digital Racing