[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Frankenslot wireless controller for Carrera

Frankenslot wireless controller for Carrera

For Those Doing It Digital Style!

Frankenslot wireless controller for Carrera

Postby Drewbert34 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:25 pm

I had initially made a post concerning the Frankenslot Speedflow wireless controller. What I had not (yet) done was update the post with thoughts on performance.

Thoughts:

After finally having a weekend of racing there's no doubt in my mind that I am both faster and more consistent with this controller vs. the wireless Carrera thumb controller.

With the controller settings on 44 speeds steps vs. Stock setting of 16 (same as Carrera):

In every class I ran there was lap time improvements (DTM, GT3, Can-am) with the most noticeable difference being with any car equipped with the FF motor (Most Can-am, all F1, Porsche 917-k, etc.)

More notable than fastest lap improvement was faster consistent laps. Where I had to push to get a 6.9 lap in DTM was now very easily repeatable. My fastest lap went from a 6.87 to a 6.80 (Update: 6.76). As I said, the most improvement was in Can-am as those motors are higher RPM and a bit twitchy, normally. I bettered times there by more than a tenth, which I will explain later.

So that my experience couldn't be blamed on anomaly I made some same car / same night comparisons.

Comparison 1:

I went back to the Carrera controller to try and better my Speedflow lap times...no dice.

Comparison 2:

I reprogrammed the Speedflow controller to 16 speed steps. This was a tough call as I feel I have better car control with a trigger finger vs. thumb. I can't say my lap times decreased vs. Carrera thumb but I was definitely more consistent.

Where I noticed the most improvement in controllability was acceleration exiting turns. This was especially true with the Can-am class as those motors wind up fast and wheelspin was common for me.

I grew up using Parma controllers and any trigger type controller with h.o. sets. That being said, this controller is the best money I've spent on my Carrera digital racing. My guess would be that others results could vary but the 44 step resolution is definitely a game changer!

This controller also has adjustable throttle start / full setpoints and launch control which is an unfair advantage on starts vs. a Carrera controller.

Disclaimer:

I typed this up on my cell phone, so toss punctuation out the window and maybe spelling too!
Drewbert34
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: Frankenslot wireless controller for Carrera

Postby Cincyslots » Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:44 am

ours are state side. not much longer now. :banana-dance:
Cincyslots
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Josh S » Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:45 am

Josh S
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Czar » Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:45 am

I have no scientific proof, but I am sure there is research out there that would show reaction times and fine motor control are better with your index finger than with your thumb. That alone would make cars faster and easier to drive with a trigger type controller. I am sure a couple of these controllers will make it to the Gneissring. I think it is interesting that both the Carson chip, and oXigen chip and now the Frankenslot controller have all come out about the same time. They all fill a void and open the door to more innovation. Now, with third party innovations maybe the strangle hold of OEM manufacturers will be broken and digital racing can move beyond infancy.
Czar
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Cincyslots » Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:55 pm

Josh,

Not at the moment, but we are looking into it.

Bruce
Cincyslots
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Josh S » Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:44 pm

Awesome. I hope you guys are able to in the future.
Josh S
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby R/TRandy » Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:18 am

Drewbert34,
Thanks for sharing your impressions of the controller with us. :text-thankyouyellow:
Before Carrera came out with their new wireless + controllers I had bought an after market wired pistol/trigger style controller. I really liked using it, in most cases it really didn't seem to get that much faster laps. But as you mentioned, it made me run more consistent laps. I sold it when the new wireless + controllers came out, you just can't beat the convenience of the wireless.
I know you just bought this controller, but I am interested how long the batteries last on a charge and how easy it is to get them in and out?
Randy
R/TRandy
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Drewbert34 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:35 pm

Drewbert34
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby edmagner » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:19 am

Good stuff, 2 on order...

Digital Racing Solutions, are you out there??

Ed
edmagner

Postby kidvoltage » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:56 am

Yes, Ed, we're here. Our plans haven't changed. When Wireless DRS controllers are ready, you'll hear about it.

In the meantime for anyone that wants a wired trigger style controller, we're still selling a-plenty.

And not to steal the thread, but since we were asked, we're more than just controllers as all our customers of LaneGate and our USB interface can attest to.
kidvoltage
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Drewbert34 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:30 pm

Wanted to update a recent additional finding.

Initially, we ran reduced magnets in most of our cars. As I bought a tire Razor and was able to tune the cars, the cars be came less of a challenge...as many of you have also experienced.

Saying that, I was attempting to lead up to the fact that, with less magnets, some cars become hard to control the power of a well running stock motor, with the stock controller.

With the Frankenslot controller, non-magnet (or less magnet) cars are easily controllable. So much so, I have one friend that ordered one just so he can keep up!
Drewbert34
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby CKR » Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:25 pm

CKR

Postby Drewbert34 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:30 am

Wanted to update a finding...

If using a Frankenslot Speedflow Wireless controller, make sure you do not still have a Carrera Wireless controller bound to the car.

Due to the battery management of the Speedflow, it will cut the 2.4 radio when going to sleep. When this happens, if also bound to a Carrera Wireless controller you will then lose the ability to re-bind to the car on controller wake and will have to power cycle the Speedflow to regain control, because the Carrera Wireless controller will then become primary in reception.

This issue confused me for a couple months. My follies, your gain!
Drewbert34
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Racer944 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:13 pm

Drewbert34... I am in the process of obtaining one of these controllers based on your review. Question... Do the instructions to program come in English, or did you simply run the wiki through a translator (or perhaps you speak German)?

Still happy with your unit?

Cheers;
Eric
Racer944

Postby Drewbert34 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:48 pm

Good controller for sure.

I have received 1 of 2 that needs to be sent back to Frankenslot. The issue us that controller seems to go to sleep, randomly.

Otherwise, I'd say great purchase!
Drewbert34
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to Digital Racing