Tip for Carrera Appconnect/App to TV

For Those Doing It Digital Style!

Tip for Carrera Appconnect/App to TV

Postby Drewbert34 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:06 am

Sorry for the long title.

With my setup, thus far, the wireless connectivity via Appconnect has been the most user friendly, in that track calls, and any other adjustments, are easily navigated by my girlfriends son via tablet and race apps. The issue was that I could not see race results from accross the room.

Reasoning:

I tried using Bruces software and a PC laptop, but it can be a bit complex for a 10 yr. old. Also, I want to stay with something that will keep him interested in slot racing, so wireless and tablet / android use it is, as he thinks it's "cool" to connect the 2 vs. just running in circles when by himself.

Onto my tip:

For casting (screen mirroring) of the tablet I was relying on Google's Chromecast 1st gen. dongle. This method had bad results as the sound would drop, which became annoying! There was also a screen flicker which I attributed to the Google app.

I chased down internet router settings, and wireless connectivity improvements with some results, but I was never able to alleviate the issue. The 1st gen. Chromecast dongle is not 5 ghz capable. The 2nd gen. dongle ($65) is, but I had no guarantee that purchase would solve my issues. The theory there was possible interferrence with wireless 2.4 remotes or other 2.4 ghz interferrence.

For kicks, I decided to try an Amazon Fire Stick, as they also have screen mirroring...problem solved! Not only is the sound 100% reliable, but the annoying screen flicker caused by casting using the google app has been eliminated as well!...plus, you get all the other functionally of a Fire Stick. A big plus is using 5 ghz connectivity to thwart any possible 2.4 ghz interference.

NOTE: Your tablet / phone will need to have the ability to cast to a tv natively. My tablet has this ability as should most...my phone did not, as that is usually reserved for higher end phones.

If you have any questions, feel free to reach out to me...happy slotting!

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk
Drewbert34
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: Tip for Carrera Appconnect/App to TV

Postby Drewbert34 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:02 am

So, update here...

After an Android update I could no longer screen mirror to Fire TV. This sent me to purchasing a TV that had native screen cast-ability which also didn't work ( I assume also due to Android update ).

I ended up going back to Chromecast and it's been flawless. As it turns out, my issues were my fault. I was using the TV's USB port as power for the Chromecast and wrapping the excess power cord around the dongle. It appears that coil of wire shielded Internet reception. This time I plugged the power cable into the wall and all is well :)

Hope this helps someone.
Drewbert34
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to Digital Racing