[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 429: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Advice going forward - Carrera and Artin Digital

Advice going forward - Carrera and Artin Digital

For Those Doing It Digital Style!

Advice going forward - Carrera and Artin Digital

Postby asmith » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:56 pm

Aloha Gang - it's been awhile.

The spare bedroom/playroom I'm remodeling will be ready in another month and I'm planning to sort through all my remaining slot car stuff and keep what I need for a 1/32-1/24 Carrera Digital Track.
We're planning to move again in 18 months to Washington State. My plan is to setup a test track to sort through what I'll be keeping.

What I have...

One of the first Carrera Pro-X tracks, with dual high banked curves and two changers. I believe the digital components; cars, power supply, hookup track, controllers, cars, and lane changers are all incompatible the current Carrera digital sets. The only parts that can be reused are the standard track pieces.

Early Carrera Exclusiv digital upgrade kit, item # 20520. With 18v power adapter, two (wired) controllers, straight section power track. I never had a chance to use this but I'm guessing it's also out of date.

Two Carrera standard 1/24 track sets, with assorted old and new type Carrera track and borders. I understand old and new Carrera track remain compatible, so these are keepers.

Two Artin Digital sets, ordered two sets when Walmart first decided to get into the online game and offered them with free holiday shipping to Hawaii. All I did with these was a small carpet oval. Not sure what to do with these.
-----------------------------

Should I bother with the Carrera upgrade kit #20520, or just start over with a new set. I'm guessing the Pro-X lane changers won't work with the current Carrera digital track.

Whatever became of Artin Digital, or plain old Artin for that matter?
asmith

Re: Advice going forward - Carrera and Artin Digital

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:24 pm

Artin is no more. Frank passed away and remaining stock was sold on Ebay. They have produced nothing new.

You have Carrera track, so I would start with a new set.

Welcome back.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby buspor63 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:07 pm

You are right about Carrera, most of the digital parts are incompatible. Buy the most modern set you want to spend money on and add it to what you already have. The control unit is a must, double lane changes are nice and 2.4 ghz wireless controllers are nice. Your Pro-X wired controllers will work with the new D132, I have some myself. The standard system allows four controlled cars, there is a plug in expansion box that allows you to add two more controllers.

The Artin products may be wanted by those that have Artin, I think the chassis were the standard ones, just with a digital chip.
buspor63
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby asmith » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:00 pm

Thanks Harry and buspor63,

Nice to be back - HRW is looking good and many familiar names still!

Buying a new digital set is the sure way to go, but I already have three 1/24 Carrera sets and quite enough new (not Pro-X) 1/32 and 1/24 digital cars.

Based on my limited reading so far, I think the Exclusiv digital upgrade kit that I already have (# 20520) will work with the newer cars and track sections - even if it's not wireless.

Although it doesn't specify digital 124...

I need to understand what DC power is needed. I several 18volt Carrera power bricks and the variable DC PS from my now deceased routed wood track.

Right now I'm researching buying just lane changing sections, and maybe a pit lane. I'm handy enough with schematics and solder to rewire for both analog and digital use.

All input appreciated!

Thanks - Alan
asmith

Postby b.yingling » Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:46 am

I'll give you some advice re: track power based on my experience. Your Exclusiv --> Exclusiv digital upgrade is ok, but as someone else mentioned, a Control Unit is well worth the money.

I would not recommend using your 18volt Carrera power supplies, as they just don't supply enough current, and your racing will not be nearly as much fun as it could be. You can use them if you must, but you're limiting your joy. You could use the plug off of your Pro-X or Exclusiv Digital power pack to connect something else to your D1XX track.

Depending on it's voltage range, the variable power supply could work just fine. D124 cars with stock motors expect 18 volts (at the powerbase- at the track rails it will actually be less), and they don't perform well at less than 16 volts, while D132 cars run fine if the powerbase is fed 14.8 or more. Remember, on Carrera digital you can adjust the speed and brake response of any car individually, so voltage is not the be all and end all of your car's top speed.

I would not recommend feeding less than ~15 volts to the powerbase (once again- a new Control Unit is a huge, fun, and worthwhile upgrade) as the lane changers become less reliable if they are fed less than 13.5 volts or so. And the powerbase never delivers the same voltage it is fed, so 14.8 is about the minimum you should input to the powerbase.

If you use a Black Box, I'd put a 5 amp quick blow fuse between the power supply and the Black Box (unless the power supply has a current limiting feature- then set *it* at 5amps). If you do upgrade to a Control Unit (did I say it was well worth it!), you can use a 7.5amp fuse, as the CU can handle more current. Just one of the reasons they are well worth the upgrade.

So the other reasons the CU is worth the upgrade: lots of digital accessories work only with the CU. The position tower, the start light, the driver displays. For many people, that makes it worthwhile. I currently use none of those. But the CU also gives you ways to hook up to a computer or a tablet/phone and run race software without having to buy an old style lap counter for your Black Box (which would only work with a computer- not a phone or tablet). And when using a CU, the software/app connected to the CU can display fuel info, it can slow individual cars while racing, it can handle the speed/brake/tank adjustments you may want made automatically, it can press the 'Start' button on the CU to pause/stop/start a race, and much, much more. So the CU opens a whole new world of hardware (the Carrera accessories), and a whole new world of software to expand your digital racing.
Last edited by b.yingling on Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:41 am, edited 7 times in total.
b.yingling
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby b.yingling » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:33 am

On another note: your Pro-X controllers *will* work with your D132/D124 stuff, and people have found creative uses for the Pro-X lane changers in D1XX systems- so don't throw them out just yet. The cars would need new, D1XX chips.

Edit because: I see buspor already told you about the controllers- but I'll leave it anyway....
b.yingling
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Nor Cal Mike » Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:49 am

Welcome Back Alan,

What others have said about Carrera. It is great track and can be supplemented by more modern Carrera digital bits. The old stuff that you have will probably work just fine but it is unsupported and you can't get any new cars, chips, or digital parts for it. Pro-X stuff comes up on Ebay every once in awhile but even there the supply is limited.

I too have two Artin digital sets bought from Wallyworld. It's all in a box stored under my wood analogue track. I really am not sure why I have kept it all of this time, I haven't seen or heard of anyone asking for info or sources to get Digipro stuff in a long time. The digi part of the powerbase wasn't very robust in the Artin sets. The cars required huge magnets to move the reed switches that triggered the lap count. Combine such strong magnets with Artin's low powered motors was a recipe for some ho hum racing. Some guys tried upping the amps with aftermarket power supplies while keeping the same 18v. operation as the set was designed for but the PB wouldn't take the power.
Nor Cal Mike
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby asmith » Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:03 pm

Last edited by asmith on Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
asmith

Postby b.yingling » Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:07 pm

The only digital bits from the Pro-X set that will work as intended in a D1XX setup are the controllers (all of the non-digital track will work just fine). If the lane changers are placed in a D1XX track, they will fire every time a car comes along. That's why people have found *creative* uses for them in D1XX tracks. As automatic pit bays, automatic return-to-track re-slot lanes, etc. Not as actual lane changers.

Nothing has really been 'outdated' since the Pro-X changeover. Every digital D1XX bit sold since (going on 10 years now) still works as intended in a D1XX track- so I wouldn't be too afraid of buying something now instead of waiting 18 months. The Black Box has been superseded by the Control Unit- but you can still use it if you choose to. It does still work. Unlike Pro-X stuff.
b.yingling
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby asmith » Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:58 pm

Not clear on these questions:

If I bought a D132 set with latest CU would I need another power supply to run D124 cars?

Do the track switches and other accessories all work on the same voltage?

Been reading the Carrera site and catalogs:

I think the answer is yes D124 needs 18volts, which I have, unless the digital PS versions are different.

Yes they the switches and other accessories will all work on either 14v or 18v.

Thanks!
asmith

Postby b.yingling » Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:29 am

Last edited by b.yingling on Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
b.yingling
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby asmith » Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:40 am

Yes I have a Carrera analog 18v PS and the 'Exclusiv Digital' includes an adapter. It's labeled 18v 2X 600MA / 1500MA.

I understand what you're saying, use my variable PS - but take care not to fry anything, as I recall it goes up to 24v, not sure on amperage, still packed away.

------------------------

You're the author of the Carrera Digital add-on software, HSSRMS.exe? Thanks for that. I understand it requires the PC adapter, which may be hard to find.

Thanks Alan
asmith

Postby b.yingling » Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:33 pm

You can buy cables from many third party suppliers. Generally for 1/3 to 1/2 the cost of the PC unit.
b.yingling
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to Digital Racing