Question

For Those Doing It Digital Style!

Question

Postby ourwayband » Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:18 pm

Guys I know this has been asked many times but here we go.From my research it seems that if I remove the control unit from the track along with UN-plugging the drivers stations etc,one can replace the cu with a analog power track and race analog with no problem.The lane changers will cause no problem as long as they don't change lanes.Is this correct?
I know that we could do some wiring (control unit and analog) and do this with switches,but just looking for the easiest solution.
Thanks
Rusty
ourwayband
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: Question

Postby PWflyr » Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:34 am

You are correct: The lane changers will not cause a problem. The rails in the LC's are isolated. You can check this by opening the back of the LC and looking at the jumpers. Over on SCI, MrFlip posted some pix showing this. Sorry, I don't know how to post a link. But it is a post he made 3-2-2016 to the thread: Carrera analog/digital advice needed!. It is in the Digital forum.

PW
PWflyr

Re: Question

Postby BARC 1 » Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:52 am

I think so would be my answer. Two pit entry switches have failed on my attempts. The electronics on these are slightly different then the normal lane changers, none of which have had an issue after running in analog. These failures did not happen instantly and seemed to be random failures, but I am thinking perhaps a short circuit event when running in analog was the cause

Because I have had two successive failures, I am suspicious something is up with these in the analog mode. I swapped in regular LC electronics into the pit entry and have had zero issues. I was not about to purchase a third pit entry set only to have it happen again

From my experience I would wire in a DPDT throw switch between the rails and the pit lane entry electronics that would allow the pitlane electronics to be totally isolated from the track when running it in analog. The Pitlane LC electronics have the ability to distinguish and identify pace and ghost cars from the other cars, and however they do this must be more susceptible to shorts. The sudden heavy amp draw must have fried something in the PItlane LC where as the regular LC where not hurt by it.

I can't speak to the drivers stations as I do not use them, but it wouldn't be that hard to wire in a DPDT swtich on those as well to totally isolate them from the track when running in analog.

All the Digital electronics, Pit sensor, LC, Driver station etc get their power from the rails as in digital mode there is full power to the rails as all times and it is the perfect conduit to run the accessories. However when you swap to analog this voltage to the accessories becomes variable and in some case will see reverse voltage and the occasional short. I think all of the component boards have Diodes to protect the electronics from reverse voltage but am not sure about the whole Carrera line.

Cheers

Dan
BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to Digital Racing