[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - What is new in the digital world?

What is new in the digital world?

For Those Doing It Digital Style!

Re: What is new in the digital world?

Postby docdoom » Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:54 pm

docdoom
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby b.yingling » Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:21 pm

Thanks docdoom for the good link. The new chip is described on page 10.

Maurizio was specifically asked if his phrasing re: 'native support' meant that a car with this oXigen chip installed could be driven with SSD or Carrera controllers. He confirmed that was the case.
b.yingling
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby b.yingling » Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:30 pm

b.yingling
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BARC 1 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:57 pm

Well it has been said by some we would never have a standard. We still don't but at least there is now a decoder that works with all, so the next best thing.

This has been my biggest disappointment in digital slot cars when compared to the digital systems used in model railroading. So now Slot it is helping to unite digital users instead of alienating them. Kudos to them. Hopefully Carrera is on board with this development.

Dan
BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby b.yingling » Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:39 am

b.yingling
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Czar » Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:58 am

Czar
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Drewbert34 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:21 am

Drewbert34
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby b.yingling » Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:20 am

b.yingling
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Burrell » Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:29 am

Burrell
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BARC 1 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:14 am

My 2 cents.

Lets keep it light and happy around here. It is about the only escape from real world problems I have anymore. I would hate for this place to become drama filled as well.

I do agree with Bruce on the heaping too much criticism at the manufacturers though. They have to make a buck, and that includes Slot.it as well. This new chip of theirs sounds great, but who knows if it will be a marketing success. Too early to tell. It might fall flat and the revenue generated by the sale may not sustain it. There is a real good chance of that happening, and if it does, then the issue is not Slot.it, The issue is the very small market to sustain production on items like this.

I will beat a dead horse over this. The digital slot car market is to small to sustain different platforms. The digital experience would be better served with an industry push to standardization across the board. I brought up the collaboration of Slot it and Scalextrics as an example of what needs to happen a few months ago, and suggested that Carrera my find itself on the outside looking in, if they don't start looking at some collaborative efforts as well. However I can also see Carrera feeling their success has them poised to be the only one left standing after the dust settles giving them the monopoly on digital racing(Mass market)

Cheers

Dan
BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Drewbert34 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:37 am

I have not interpreted anything I've read as criticism, but good holistic call out.

As mentioned before, I vote with my wallet, which has been lightened considerably over the last 4-5 months.

I love digital and I love Carrera. I marvel at the open source (for 3rd party development) of Scalextric digital. Patience is a virtue, I suppose :)

There's Apple and Android ;) Different ways to skin the same cat.

I apologize if anything I've said has come across as criticism, as that was not at all my intent.

Maybe we need a place where ideas and discussions of "why?" and "why not!" are more openly received and discussed vs. perception of complaint and lessons on micro economics?

...else, why discuss possible future state at all? Maybe that's the point?...just accept what is offered and don't ask any questions?

For me, it's fun to think of the possibilities. If it isn't feasible, that's fine...but it's still fun to discuss.

Happy Slotting!
Drewbert34
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Czar » Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:17 am

Mr. Yingling, I read your screed. I really like HRW and think Harry has established an amazing site for people who enjoy slot cars and slot racing. One of the most obvious characteristics of HRW is the open exchange of ideas without the snarky, belittling comments that you see on other slot car sites. Another difference here is that it is supported by the owner (Harry) and not underwritten by major manufactures, distributors, or stores. For you to come into these forums and within a total of 45 posts to ignore (or hope to change) the tone of this website is insulting to all the members who embrace the philosophy that has characterized this board since the beginning. I have tried to make a positive contribution to the discussions here with almost 800 posts. I will not take your bait. I am sure that everyone (including me) can benefit from your technical knowledge. But please understand that a difference of opinion is simply part of a civilized discussion. I hope you will continue to post on HRW, but please remember where you are and show some respect.
Czar
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Previous

Return to Digital Racing