[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 429: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Digital Camera Car

Digital Camera Car

For Those Doing It Digital Style!

Digital Camera Car

Postby legend85 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:33 pm

legend85

Re: Digital Camera Car

Postby legend85 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:43 pm

I 3D-printed a small block to mount the camera temporarily. The lens is a wide-angle lens and is attached with a magnetic ring, so it is removable. The camera can record in 1080p video.
legend85

Postby Z-carfan » Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:53 pm

I just picked up,one of those cameras. Interested in where to locate the wide angle lens from?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Z-carfan
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby legend85 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:12 pm

legend85

Postby Z-carfan » Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:17 am

Very cool, thanks for the info. I just order one of the lenses. :banana-dance:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Z-carfan
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Broman62 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 6:06 pm

That vid is waaaaay coooool!!! Slapping those other slower b$?!&ches around was pretty sweet :lol: :lol:
Broman62
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Half Fast Slotter » Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:08 am

I'm going to have to create one of these. My main worry is that most of my movies would end up showing a transition from racing to an ever growing close up of the scenery doing a barrel roll and ending with a shot of my ceiling. Thanks for posting.
Half Fast Slotter
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby DaveKennedy » Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:16 pm

ok i'm going to have to do this! I have been using my GoPro Session 4 on a slot car but it's way too top heavy.
DaveKennedy
Master Shutterbug

Postby legend85 » Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:19 pm

legend85

Postby Nor Cal Mike » Wed Nov 02, 2016 7:41 am

Great video. I like it a lot. Your camera and lens combo really make the visual more real. I like how you can see the ferrite man rotating back and forth as the car navigates the turns. Having a view of the car makes me think that it would be neat to remove the top of a car with the body still on and mount the camera low enough so that the video looks as though you are looking through the windscreen frame, over the dashboard and down the hood.
Nor Cal Mike
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby legend85 » Fri Nov 04, 2016 4:39 am

Thanks for the comments. The first 1/32 camera car I built is similar to the one you described. You can see a small portion of the hood in the view, however, it is so close it looks like the video is cropped a bit. I plan on moving the camera back to see if I can get some sort of view of the roof/windshield. This car is an SCX, but it was just too slow to use as a pacer camera car and was causing too many crashes.

I was able to use this idea with a 1/24 scale car, with the camera sitting inside the car, having a small portion of the roof removed to expose the camera buttons for operation. This camera is just too big to get completely inside a 1/32 scale car.
legend85

Postby Nor Cal Mike » Sun Nov 06, 2016 11:06 am

I can see why a Nascar makes for a better camera mount. It's longer length of the Nascar and higher cab profile gives you more space to work with. Perhaps using a similar Nascar that is sidewinder (Scalextric) would allow the camera to be moved back far enough to get the hood and dashboard in the picture. It looks like the center of the lense is about drivers eyeball so the perspective should be pretty good if the entire cab area of the car, minus the windscreen, were left intact.

I really like what you are doing.
Nor Cal Mike
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to Digital Racing