Digitizing the Carrera '62 Corvette

For Those Doing It Digital Style!

Digitizing the Carrera '62 Corvette

Postby goosenapper » Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:41 pm

This nifty looking Exclusiv car was calling to me from its case. It wanted to jun the fun and run some races, so I gave in and grabbed the dremmel.

I want this car to run with others that I currently have, so I took a Breadvan chassis, lengthened it a bit, and replaced the old lights with new ones from Evan's Designs. I don't generally do this, but I decided to just solder them straight in to the chip. I also obliterated the Breadvan wire wheel inserts, turned down the Corvette's wheels on the Tire Razor, and popped them in the axles as inserts in order to keep the look of the original.

The interior had to be cut down pretty severely in order to accommodate the digital chip and larger motor mount that this car has compared to the Exclusiv chassis. The interior is weird on this thing. The sides of the interior are made of the same piece of plastic as the bottom, but are folded up and tucked in to tabs. This thing exploded when i cut in to it, and I had to rebuild everything from scratch. It mostly fit, and strong glue and elbow grease was used to cram it in to place. Thanks to Slot Car Corner for always including light-weight interiors with every order. ;)

The body mounts almost line up with the screw holes on the breadvan chassis, so I took advantage of it. Having wheels 1mm too far back is something that I can live with if I don't have to worry about fabricating my own mounts that are strong enough to hold up to digital racing contact. The rear was another story, and I ended up just hot-gluing the thing in place. It's not the best looking chassis adaptation that I've done, but it works.

With four headlights up front, I'll have no problem at all keeping tabs of this car on the track!

Being a high-body car, it's not going to win against the latest and faster D124 cars, but it should run very well with the Grand Sports and SWBs. I just wonder how long those side mirrors are going to last. The first race for this car should be tomorrow, so we'll see how it goes.
Last edited by goosenapper on Sat Mar 21, 2015 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
goosenapper
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: Digitizing the Carrera '62 Corvette

Postby TuscoTodd » Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:33 pm

That is a SWEET looking ride!
:text-bravo:
TuscoTodd
HRW Bouncer

Return to Digital Racing