New version of HSSRMS

For Those Doing It Digital Style!

New version of HSSRMS

Postby b.yingling » Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:48 pm

Many of you are likely familiar with my software for use with Carrera digital tracks. I posted a new version today which includes a new feature. You can download it
from my Amazon drive.

Release 2.2.0.1 includes TeamRadio: If you enable the display server on HSSRMS; tablets, phones, laptops, and PCs on your WiFi network that connect to the server can now be enabled to not only receive lap time, position, sector, fuel, etc. information- they can also give you audio feedback! So bring your phone and your earbuds!

Low fuel, best lap, sector time info, etc for your selected ID will play on the connected device. The minimal setting will give you low fuel and best time information only, with very few status or position announcements beyond assessed penalties and events. The light version includes all of the minimal audio, while also adding a brief (seconds.tenths) statement of each lap time. The normal setting will include all of the light version stuff, as well as many more race position and status announcements. Status such as change in gap between you and the car in front/behind, laps closing or falling, etc. The verbose setting (chatty crew chief!) will include all of that and then add in *all* sector times and even more status announcements. When in practice mode, you get time and fuel information only. Which means verbose is OK (in fact quite fun!) when running practice laps on a big track- personally would not recommend for racing. Way too noisy. Each of the major steps- Minimal, Light, Normal, and Verbose- includes a second, slightly more talkative step, so there are eight levels of voice to choose from. Countdowns are not sent to remote devices, because each will respond differently, and likely not sync with the main computer. So best to leave sound on, turning off most announcements but letting the countdowns live.

The connected device must have newish versions of Chrome, Safari, Firefox, or Microsoft Edge. Safari 7 or newer, Chrome 33 and up, Firefox 49 or newer, and Edge. It does not work with IE or Opera, and the built-in browsers on android devices are hit or miss. 5 different android devices here- all work with Chrome, only one works with the built-in browser. Note- two of those android tablets are four years old, they just have updated versions of Chrome manually installed. If you are using Microsoft Edge (you have my sympathy), you may have difficulty connecting from time to time. For your own sanity, please install Chrome or Firefox.

This release includes a registration nag screen. It does not run every time, it will run at most one time per run of the software when you click to activate the display server. Registration fee is $6.00. The PayPal address is included on the nag screen. If you register the software, the nag screen will no longer show itself, and the state of the display server and TeamRadio will be saved each time the program closes. So a registered copy will automatically start the display server and turn on TeamRadio when the program starts. THE SOFTWARE IS STILL FREE AND ALL FEATURES WORK EVEN IF YOU DO NOT REGISTER! But registration will make startup easier.

Bug fixes and improvements:

1. When using the display server to communicate with attached devices, the information on those remote devices before the race started was not properly updated. Attached phones and tablets will now have their displayed information reset while waiting for the race start and will show accurate fuel levels while waiting for the race countdown.

2.The time used to determine if the CU has gone to sleep has been lengthened. I could not duplicate the spurious loss of communication messages that other users had reported, but the timeout was still lengthened to 3 seconds. I can't think of any downside to this, other than minor trouble if someone happens to discover their CU has gone to sleep, then turns it off and turns it back on all in <3 seconds.

3. When running more than one ghost, the software would incorrectly score the ghost one position too high when an intermediate ghost crossed the start/finish.

4. Added timing device (CU or 30342 lap counter) version info on Easy Mode start screen.

5. Better error checking when the display server fails to start.

6. The Speed and Brake drop downs on any connected smart device now show the current values as the selected value. This makes changing one or the other easier.
Last edited by b.yingling on Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
b.yingling

Re: New version of HSSRMS

Postby b.yingling » Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:20 pm

On another board someone asked me about using an iPhone. Safari is listed above. You can also install Chrome on an iPhone. In short, this works with any device that has a web browser that supports Speech Synthesis.

It isn't an app, it doesn't have to be bought or installed- it uses the software already on your smart device.
b.yingling

Postby b.yingling » Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:25 am

Because of potential problems for international users during the registration process, the file has been temporarily removed. Hope to have it back in a day or two.
b.yingling

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:53 pm

Appreciate the updates sir. Nice work. Lot of hours.
-Harry

"They didn't say you couldn't" - Smokey

HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby b.yingling » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:05 pm

v2.2.0.2 is now available at the link given above. It changed the registration process to fix a potential problem for international users. Other than that, no change.

Although I did find out from someone who downloaded 2.201 that the display server and TeamRadio work with the Amazon Silk browser. He is successfully serving race information and race audio to his Fire tablets. So this software will work with an iPad or iPhone, an Amazon Fire tablet, an android tablet or android phone as well as any laptop or PC. As long as the device is using a recent version of one of the following web browsers:

Apple Safari
Chrome
Microsoft Edge
Firefox
Amazon Silk

The display server will also work with Opera and Internet Explorer- but neither of them will support the TeamRadio function.

Next on the to-do list: add the ability to choose different voices for the TeamRadio function. Currently only the default voice is available.
b.yingling

Postby b.yingling » Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:13 pm

Another new update is on the site. Racing this week we discovered that many of the announcements associated with TeamRadio were either wrong or inaccurate. So a new patch version is up. We've run quite a few timed and lap counted races with this one, and it seems to be working well.

If you have a version with TeamRadio- please download the latest patch v2.210, as it will work much, much better than the previous. If you don't have a version with TeamRadio- you really should try it! Even if the display server didn't interest you, the addition of audio updates, warnings, status announcements and commentary for the car you're driving is really, really fun. I've enjoyed testing this feature more than any I think I've ever done, because it gave me a completely new experience. Haven't had this much fun running laps in the basement since the last track rebuild!

Bug fixes and improvements were all on remote devices connected to the display server:

• The TeamRadio status announcement every 5th lap was often broken in reporting position and who you were chasing. It gave correct information only if you were a lap (or more) down, or if you were in the lead. It was incorrect if you were trailing someone on the same lap. It also gave the wrong time-to-leader when that information was reported. Fixed.
  • When running multiple ghosts, TeamRadio could report the ghost car as closing on your position whenever an intermediate ghost crossed the start finish. Fixed. Now only reports change in ghost position when ghost records a full lap.
  • On some platforms, Speech Synthesis would read GO! GO! GO! as G-O! G-O! G-O!. Fixed.
  • Estimated fuel was broken during timed races. Reported thousandths of a second as seconds. Greatly improved estimates of fuel left during lap counted races.
  • TeamRadio always read 'lap' as 'laps' even when it should not have been plural. Fixed.
  • After lapping a slower car, TeamRadio could report the slower car as closing when the slower car next crossed start/finish. Fixed.
  • Couldn't change speed and brake values from remote devices. Fixed.
  • Dropped the lead zero from gap announcements in TeamRadio. Less obtrusive and less confusing w/o the zero.
  • At user's request, added more resolution to reported lap speeds in TeamRadio.
b.yingling

Postby b.yingling » Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:01 pm

Apple being Apple, if your iPhone doesn't seem to work with TeamRadio, check this:

• Before you can use the text to speech function, you have to enable it:
  • 1. Launch “Settings” and tap on “General”
  • 2. Scroll down to “Accessibility” and tap on “Speak Selection”
  • 3. Slide to “ON” and adjust the “Speaking Rate” slider to an appropriate setting

Also make sure the physical ringer switch is turned on.
Lord knows what proprietary hardware and/or software slider controls this on an iPad. If you dig around and find out, let me know.
b.yingling

Return to Digital Racing