Lap Counters? We Don't Need No Steenkin' Lap Counters!

Post Your Club/Home Info Here
Link Up With Others In Your Area

Lap Counters? We Don't Need No Steenkin' Lap Counters!

Postby Florida_Slotter » Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:55 am

Well we christened our 'new track' at our club last night. We purchased a barely used 8 x 16 road course from a fellow racer that is relocating. It's a great track, we got it for a great price and we're now getting ready to put a timing system on it. But we have been wanting to hold a race on it.

So, last night we got together, pooled our ideas, came up with a proposed solution and got to race on our new track.

What was decided upon was that we would hold a combined Total Lap / Crash & Burn race. To keep those danged sandbaggers from just going around nice and slow to stay on, we decided to put a 'catch' in the proceedings. The Race Director - who was also volunteered as the counter of laps - could at his discretion - make it either a Crash & Burn or a Lap Race. The Race Director was also the starter for the race.

We ran 4 heats - everyone had to run all 4 lanes - and it was an absolute blast. No one worried about who ran the fastest lap, the most laps in a specified time or anything else that could detract from the pure FUN that can be had by getting a bunch of guys together and "running" their slot cars - kinda like we did 'back in the day'.

The first heat started out with all 4 racers crashing and burning in a short time. So everyone had an idea of how hard they could push their rides.

You could tell they were enthusiastic during the second heat. As the Starter bellowed out, "On your mark, Get set" . . . no one waited for the "Go". One person went on "Get set" and the rest followed. So we lined them up once again and this time all waited for the "Go"! They had gotten the feel of the track and after many laps, the Race Director called "5 laps to win". It was amazing to watch the number of lead changes. Those Carrera Classic Stock cars were running in a "pack" about 2 feet long. They started swapping places at each 6 turns on the track.

Heats 3 & 4 were almost a replay of heat #2, except everyone waited for the "Go" once again.

I don't think I have seen 4 mature (?) people having as much fun as I saw last night.

Keep it simple, keep it pure and have FUN!
Florida_Slotter
Scratch Build Guru

Re: Lap Counters? We Don't Need No Steenkin' Lap Counters!

Postby frank9129 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:35 pm

Crab Alley Speedway owns a lap counter, but it is not yet installed. We run Crash and Burn races after 2 minutes of track practice.
Rule 1 If you crash you are out.
Rule 2 If someone else crashes you, you are out.
Rule 3 If you run so slow you won't crash, you are out.
Rule 4 As the Track owner, If I say you are out, you are out.
Works for me and the kids.
My next race is 2/10 at OLPH Church in Edgewater MD. If you are in the area, stop by.
frank9129
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:44 pm

Great report.

I think it is why the clubs I visit are still growing and going strong today. They hardly ever turn those on :)
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:15 pm

Funny, isn't it? I only use one lane timing nowdays, just for tuning cars. The other lanes I just can't be bothered to fix.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Return to Club/Home Connection