SuzukaGTA Weston, Ontario Canada

Post Your Club/Home Info Here
Link Up With Others In Your Area

SuzukaGTA Weston, Ontario Canada

Postby iceracer » Wed Dec 14, 2016 4:40 pm

Hi There:

Terry here, from Toronto, or more specifically Weston, Ontario, which is in the west end of the City.
I have a 5 lane, (which was originally a 3 lane) routed track in my garage which currently we refer to as SuzukaGTA.
The GTA refers to the Greater Toronto Area.

We have held a few races here since September for 1/24 scale hard body cars, the most recent was this past Friday Dec. 9th.

Here is a link I hope works for some pics;

https://www.flickr.com/photos/31911744@N08/

Will be posting race reports soon.

Cheers, Terry
iceracer

Re: SuzukaGTA Weston, Ontario Canada

Postby 4424ever » Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:02 pm

Welcome aboard I'm on the other side of big smoke about 40 min maybe we can get together some time Dave!
4424ever
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Race Report Dec. 9th SuzukaGTA

Postby iceracer » Fri Dec 16, 2016 4:02 pm

It was cold outside but the action was hot and furious inside the race garage in Weston, Ontario as a solid crowd of racers gathered at SuzukaGTA Friday night for the Sports and Nascar classes.

Part of the evening events were for those present to gather for a group pic and to sign a card for our ailing slot brother Brant Snow, whom is facing some serious challenges to his health right now. Some faces that we have not seen for a long while made the trip to Weston.

After pre race tech under the watchful eye of Chuck Ingram had been performed we were ready to commence.

First up for the evening was the Nascar class. A nice mix of vintage and more modern cars made up the field.
Time trials were first to set the lineups for the qualifying races leading up to a final five, 125 lap main event.

Nine racers made the grid for nascar so this meant the top 2 in qualifying went directly to the main.
Slowest drivers in time trials had lane preference for the races.

Nascar time trial results;
1 Terry Dalton 4.312, 2 Charles Goertz 4.343, 3 Joe Salvaterra 4.391, 4 Vic Czerwony 4.474 , 5 Jim Toye 4.527 , 6 Dan Lapointe 4.853, 7 Peter Czerwony 4.940, 8 Chuck Ingram 4.994, 9 Bob Bainborough 5.240

50 lap 1st qualifier heat results;
1 Peter Czerwony 50 laps, 2 Jim Toye 50 laps, 3 Chuck Ingram 46 laps, 4 Dan LaPointe, 46 laps, Bob Bainborough 43 laps
Top 3 advance to the semi final.

Semi Final results;
1 Jim Toye 75 laps, 2 Joe Salvaterra 75 laps, 3 Peter Czerwony 68 laps, 4 Chuck Ingram 68 laps, 5 Vic Czerwony 62 laps.
Top 3 advance to the main final, low qualifiers get lane preference.

Nascar main final results 125 laps. ( ) indicates lane
1 Joe Salvaterra (w) 125 laps, 2 Terry Dalton (B) 124 laps, 3 Jim Toye (Y) 122 laps, 4 Charles Goertz (r) 121 laps, 5 Peter Czerwony (G) 19 laps DNF

By way of Cambridge Ont., Joe Salvaterra drove a heads-up race for his first win at SuzukaGTA in his Ford t bird, mossetti chassis, with a falcon 7 motor. Joe was feeling miserable with a cold (as were half those present it seemed) so did well to get the win.

Peter Czerwony transferred from the heat race, to the semi, then the main and looked like he may steal the show from the preferred green lane starting spot. Unfortunately, he suffered a mechanical failure early in the main, dashing hopes for a win in his maiden voyage to the track.

Next up sports car class.

GT sedans, prototypes, LMP are all eligible. The format for this class was standard 3 minute heats with lane rotation, total laps determined the finish order. Lane starting order is by random selection from the trackmate race program.
10 racers made up this field with a mix of modern group C and GT cars in the hunt for the win.
After the fury of high speed laps, the final finish;

1 Terry Dalton, 203 laps, 2 Chuck Ingram 198 laps, 3 Jim Toye 198 laps, 4 Scott Wylie 197 laps, 5 Charles Goertz 197 laps, 6 Tom Morvay 181 laps, 7 Dan LaPointe 180 laps, 8 Bob Bainborough 176 laps, 9 Austin 172 laps, 10 Joe Salvaterra, 98 laps

What a race! Chuck was keeping the heat on me in second place trying to hold back the insanity between He, Jim, Scott and Charles. Great stuff.
Joe went from hero in the nascar class to zero in the sports car class after a mechanical failure ended his race early.
Scott Wylie proved again he still has the goods using one of my cars to just miss out on the podium place in fourth, he gave the 7-11 Mustang GTP a great thrashing.

Regrettably, Pete and Vic had to leave early and were not able to compete in the sports car portion.
Paula once again prepared another great serving of nachos and cookies which seemed to be well rec’d by those present. It was very much appreciated, Thank You.
iceracer

Postby chappy » Fri Dec 16, 2016 6:32 pm

Great report Terry and welcome to the board.
I am saddend to hear of Brants health issues
He is such a gentleman and i will always remember Brants Hatch.
Please if you see him pass my regards to him.
Bob
chappy
Minister of Slot Racing

Postby iceracer » Sun Dec 18, 2016 8:20 pm

Hi Bob: Yes, very difficult news concerning Brant. I spoke to him briefly last Wednesday, I hope to visit him this week and if so I will forward my regards.
iceracer

Postby iceracer » Sun Dec 18, 2016 8:24 pm

Next race events at; SuzukaGTA

Friday January 13th are the popular modified and short track classes.
track opens at 5 races, 7:30 pm

Next endurance event is Saturday January 28th. track opens at 10 am, tech 11:45 race 12:30 pm

PM me for rules and contact info.

Thanks, Terry
iceracer

Endurance race #3 of the SuzukaGTA Endurance series

Postby iceracer » Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:25 pm

Endurance race #3 of the SuzukaGTA Endurance series takes place Saturday January 28th. Track opens at 9;30 am, tech opens 11;45 am racing starts at 12;30 PM. 3 sections of *5 minute heats on the 5 lane track, middle section is the night section. All cars must have working head and tail lights. 3 classes will be competing at the same time, scored separately; Sports cars, GT1, GT2. Message me for rules sets or if you have any questions.

I will have the points situation straightened out by then.

Looks like we may have some eager young racers :) joining the fray again. Dan LaPointe and I are working on scale looking track lights and if we really get our act together we may even be able to run the track the other direction.

I'm also adding a soft wall to the wall which is before the esses near the scoring loop, most of you are familiar with it :)

Looking forward to this next event, Charles Goertz looks like he has a new weapon in which to contend the sports car class......should be fun....

*In order to expedite the show, if we have more than 10 entries, we will reduce the heats to 4 or 4.5 minutes and I may tighten the lane rotation by a few seconds. We will be using a custom lane rotation in which we literally rotate around the track, it should make the lane rotations more orderly.
iceracer

Race Report January 13th, 2017

Postby iceracer » Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:52 pm

Race Report for January 13th 2017 SuzukaGTA

Well, those who were of the opinion that Friday the 13th was not an unlucky day may have been convinced otherwise after some of the chaos that took place Friday at SuzukaGTA.

In the modified class, cars were dropping like flies, including my own trusty, has yet to fail me Ingram chassis 41 willy’s. Initially I thought it had just spun the gear, but upon closer examination, the motor, which in this case is soldered in just broke loose, and I lost all drive. Not an easy fix so my night was done after only 32 laps, but that’s racing as they say.

Some other hi-low lights of the event had Chuck Ingram’s way cool short track Camaro perform a huge off going into the second corner launched over the wall and his car hit me in the leg 8 ft away from where it launched! Fortunately, the car was no worse for wear and he was able to soldier forth to a podium finish.
Dan LaPointe built a new modified and Tom Morvay had the task of shaking it down. It too suffered teething problems. Jim Toye had his modified move unexpectedly at the start of one race and it tried to knock the wall down….the wall won unfortunately, so he was done.
Dan Lapointe had his controller act up spoiling an opportunity to contend, Charles with a loaner car from Chuck spun a gear…….the list goes on….
Among some of the good that came out of the evening was the presence of friends whom I have not seen in far, far too long. Wayne, Brian and Trevor Larmour, whom I raced with in my karting years back in the 80’s and 90’s dropped by to check out the scene. After a bit of encouragement and goading, the racer in them could not pass up an opportunity to have a go at the racing and after a bit of practice, Brian and Trevor were supplied with some cars to try their hand in competition. They did well for their first go round and I look forward to when they join us again.

Thank You to Chuck and Dan for the loaners.

Now onto to the results;
We utilized 2 different formats for the evening in order to expedite the program.
Short Track started the evening off with time trials;

I managed to nip Jim Toye for TQ. He and I had a bye to the main event.

Time trial results Short Track; (11 entries) On red lane.
Terry 4.024, Jim 4.178, Charles 4.244, Vic 4.378, Peter 4.383, Chuck 4.398, Tom 4.589, Bob 4.598, Dan 4.720, Trevor 5.786, Brian 7.551

Heat One results; 50 laps top 3 advance to next heat;
1 Tom Morvay 50, 2 Bob Bainborough 50, 3 Dan LaPointe 47, 4 Trevor Larmour 39, 5 Brian Larmour 33

Heat Two results; 50 laps top 3 advance to the semi final;
1 Peter Czerwony 50, 2 Chuck Ingram 50, 3 Bob Bainborough, 43, Dan LaPointe 38, Tom Morvay 37

Semi Final 75 laps top 3 advance to the main final;
1 Vic Czerwony 75, 2 Chuck Ingram 73, 3 Charles Goertz 71, 4 Peter Czerwony, 5 Bob Bainborough 59

Main final; 125 laps no lane rotation, lane selection lowest to highest from qualifying. ( ) indicates lane.
1 Jim Toye 125 (Y), 2 Terry Dalton 122 (B), 3 Chuck Ingram 117 (R), 4 Charles Goertz 117 (W), 5 Vic Czerwony 112 (G)

Jim was fast in qualifying and backed it up with a solid drive in the main final to win by 3 laps over second. Chuck Ingram, after the air show crash earlier on came home 3rd. Charles Goertz, is still trying to duplicate the pace he had at Brant’s Hatch with his T-bird wound up fourth and Vic rounded out the field with his work in progress camaro/impala creation.

Prior to the main final we ran a little feature for the non qualified cars from the heat races;
Results; Little Feature 35 laps
1 Bob Bainborough 35, 2 Tom Morvay 32, 3 Dan LaPointe 32, 4 Trevor Larmour 31, 5 Brian Larmour 29

Bob scoops the win with his land yacht of a Ford against all the pony cars in the field, well done.

Modifieds:
We ran the traditional 3 minute heats round robin format for this class to help expedite the program.

11 entries with many loaners in the field, primarily from Chuck Ingram. Thank You for your generosity.
Once all the carnage and failed cars had been cleared Vic Czerwony was on top of the podium by the narrowest of margins; about 15 ft in front of hard charging Chuck Ingram who was looking for his second win in the modified class. Blackie Noir sure gets around this place. Pete Czerwony survived to finish third.

Results;
1 Vic Czerwony 187 laps, 2 Chuck Ingram 187 laps, 3 Peter Czerwony 185 laps, 4 Bob Bainborough 166 laps, 5 Dan LaPointe 153 laps, 6 Charles Goertz 139 laps, 7 Trevor Larmour 132 laps, 8 Brian Larmour 130 laps, 9 Tom Morvay 114 laps, 10 Terry Dalton 32 laps DNF, 11 Jim Toye 8 laps DNF

This was the best attended event so far and I thank everyone for their ongoing support. I’m having a lot of fun, although admittedly I was exhausted by the end of the night. Between racing, trying to socialize, and race directing, the night was a blur!

Shout out to Chuck Ingram and Charles Goertz with helping keep things in order with the move up format, I’ll figure it out eventually.

Lets keep Brant in our thoughts, I’ll be forwarding the results and to show him vids and pics from the evening this week.

Next event here is; round 3 of the endurance series January 28th.

The next event for the Friday series is; February 10th for nascar and sports car.

Visit us on facebook; SuzukaGTA
iceracer

the first annual Scrambler for 1/24 lexan cars

Postby iceracer » Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:18 am

The first annual "Scrambler " for 1/24 lexan bodied cars at SuzukaGTA in Weston, Ontario. Two classes; GT-1 based on the OCC rule set and "Unlimited". Awards for top 3 in each class and an overall Scrambler Champion based on finishing positions from each class. We'll have the 500 on in the garage for those that would use that excuse to not attend. Now you don't have an excuse. :) message me for further details and directions.

Entries will be capped at 25 due to space restrictions so pre entry is required.

GT-1 cars will run 5 minute heats, round robin. Once one direction, then we switch the track and run another 5 minute round robin.

Unlimited class will utilize a no lane rotation, time trial format with move ups and two main finals. Top qualifier gets first lane choice for first feature but must qualify through the move ups. 2nd feature lane choice is reverse of running order and change of track direction.

Race Date; February 26th, 2017. Track opens at 9am, tech 11;30 am, racing at noon.

see us on facebook; SuzukaGTA

or email me; rubber2ice at yahoo dot ca for further information.
iceracer

Endurance results January 28th, 2017

Postby iceracer » Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:12 am

Well, another one in the books;

11 Racers signed in for race 3 of the 5 races in the SuzukaGTA Endurance series.

Couple of new to the track and series racers made a visit and it was nice to have them join us.

Big shout out to Dan LaPointe whom installed two sets of lights in cars for the new arrivals in record time.
Dan also did an great job with the track lighting which we used during the night section. Not only did the lights look great, they helped with the marshaling of the cars in the corners, well done.

Charles generously provided a large monitor to help keep track of the events.

While the first stint, went off without a hitch, about halfway through the night section, the race software had a technical issue and we lost the race data and had to abort the race and restart it.

We all agreed to shorten the night section to 4 minute lanes and after that middle section was over, we called the race complete as several people had other engagements.

I had my first motor failure in a long while when my trusty EVO motor started slowing and then just quit altogether in the ultimately aborted night section, this after leading the day section for the sports car class. Not enough time to change the motor and thus my day of racing was done.

Jim Toye in one of my other cars, took a solid win with a Plafit Ford GTP car, powered by a Falcon 7.

Charles Goertz in his DoSlot with Falcon 7 power soldiered on for his third consecutive 2nd place, while Dan LaPointe with a Scale auto chassis, Toyota GTP car and EVO power, rounded out the podium in third despite a stop for a broken lead wire.

GT2 class was well represented with 6 entries.

Giancarlo Deluca prevailed with the win in GT2 class while finishing 3rd overall.

Ravi finished 2nd in his first visit to the track and first night race.

3rd went to Bob Bainborough in an f430 Ferrari.

Classification: total laps:
1. Jim Toye (SP) 620
2. Charles Goertz ( SP) 601
3. Giancarlo Deluca (GT2) 555
4. Ravi W. (GT2) 533
5. Dan Lapointe (SP) 523
6. Austin (SP) 513
7. Bob Bainborough (GT2) 459
8. Joe Rosa/John Bokor GT2 453
9. Mini-Mo (Trevor/Wayne) GT2 435
10. Tom Morvay GT2 413
11. Terry Dalton SP 351

Unfortunately I was unable to get any decent pics or vid of this event.

Next Endurance event is: March 25th

Please Note the following schedule change:

Track will open at 9;30 am, tech 11;15am Racing at 11;45 am promptly.
iceracer

Postby chappy » Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:05 am

Sounds like a great time was had by all, and a great race report to read thanks.
This is the kind of thing that keeps us all interested and aware of different scales and types of format.
Well done sir and keep em coming . I think,the only way to have mlre fun than reading is to be there.
All the best
Bob
chappy
Minister of Slot Racing

Return to Club/Home Connection