scaling down - Weekend Special

Used Car Salesman?
Buyers & Sellers HQ
Forum rules
1. Please list multiple cars/items in one topic if possible. This reduces the clutter on the portal view.
2. Please include prices in your post or at least a "make offer".
3. Please respond to PM (private message) or provide valid email for contact.
4. If you post and do not respond to customer posts or email, the topic will be deleted.

Re: scaling down

Postby slothead » Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:09 am

My wife just called me on my cell phone to say I got a package - the cars have arrived!

I'll be giving them a whirl on the track in a few hours, and will post some observations and lap times.
slothead
The Doctor is IN!

Postby slothead » Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:24 pm

I've been working with the cars for awhile now and here's my first report. As advertised both the GB Chevron and Fly Lola where in their original boxes in absolutely pristine condition.

The Chevron was the first car on the track. It's a great looking car but was noisy and slow, with average lap times of 11.34 seconds. After putting on new PG-21127 tires and being lubed lap times were reduced to 10.97. That's still over a second slower than comparable open cockpit cars so it remains a work in progress.

The Fly Lola lived up to past low expectations - the rear axle wouldn't turn due to a cracked pinion. But having been here before I found a replacement and made a quick change. After the PGT's were mounted it hit that track and ran well, averaging 10.32 second lap times.

Both cars are welcome additions to my collection, but will also need more time in the pits to get their lap times down to the 9.0 second range.
slothead
The Doctor is IN!

Postby Z-carfan » Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:01 pm

Those Fly cars a beautiful, but they do test your skills to make them runners.
Z-carfan
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby slothead » Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:52 pm

For sure. About 20 Fly cars ago I swore I'd never buy another one. In this case the challenge is fully accepted. I'm going to tune the crap out of that GB Chevron till it's running up front with my Slot-It's and the Lola is on par with it's Le Mans counterparts.
slothead
The Doctor is IN!

Postby Czar » Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:14 am

Slothead, I am sorry about the cracked pinion. I know you have fixed the issue, but I will be happy to send you one as a replacement so you can keep your spare parts bin filled up. Otherwise, I am happy you received the cars.
Czar
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: scaling down - Reduced prices

Postby slothead » Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:02 pm

Thanks for the offer Czar, but it's certainly not your fault the Fly Lola needed work. Whenever unboxing a Fly car I immediately rotate the rear axle to see if something needs repair before test laps. This one wasn't that bad. I have bought ones where both the pinion and spur gears were damaged, the spur gear spun freely on the axle, or a rear wheel was cracked/loose.

Actually, with a Fly it might be better buying used since it's already likely to have has some improvements made to it.

I'm looking forward to doing business with you again. As you make more of your slot car stuff available I'll see what you have to offer regarding spare parts and other goodies.
slothead
The Doctor is IN!

Postby slothead » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:15 pm

Quick update regarding the Chevron I purchased here. Using info from the HRW review and tuning article for this car I used the Dremel to trim the chassis to create float and also filed away some plastic on the motor pod where the PG rear tire opposite the spur gear might have been rubbing. This side could use a spacer to take up some slack in the rear axle and move the tire over a bit, but I never remove a pressed on plastic wheel if I can avoid it. I may try to make a paper washer that I can cut a slot in to slide over the axle.

The result of the trimming and filing was a 1 second reduction in average lap times, down to 9.99. My goal is to get that down by a few more tenths of a second, so the search for speed continues.

I'm looking forward to seeing what Czar makes available next.
slothead
The Doctor is IN!

Postby hksk25 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:36 pm

I use plastic washers and cut a slot in them. You can buy various thicknesses.

Harry
hksk25
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby slothead » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:07 pm

Thanks for the tip - I did a little more filing on the motor pod and put a split plastic washer on the rear axle of the Chevron. The result - got the average lap time down to 9.74. I'm very pleased with the car and the results of tuning efforts so far. The car is over 1.5 secs a lap quicker now than out of the box.

Czar let me know he has more Chevrons coming, so be alert.
slothead
The Doctor is IN!

Postby Czar » Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:57 am

Thanks, Sothead. That is exactly why I have collected so many of the Chevrons, through the years. They are excellent racers with a little work. And what's more fun for a slot racer than a little quality time with a classic Fly?
Czar
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Previous

Return to FOR SALE!