[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 678: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Home Racing World • View topic - HRW Axle and brass cutter 3000

HRW Axle and brass cutter 3000

All About The Tools In Our Hobby
Product Reviews & Advice From Advanced Enthusiasts

HRW Axle and brass cutter 3000

Postby btaylor » Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:23 am

Wasn't really sure if this needed to go here, or in the scratch builders forum? but here it is!
Recent discussion promted me to build something that would cut brass without burning my fingers :lol: and would also cut hardened axle stock. So, being the scrounger that I am, I sourced an old side grinder that the angle head was burnt out,and made a bearing block and shaft, some 2" cut off wheels and some aluminum plate. Oh and a vacuum cleaner belt. and built this mini chop saw. I need to finish the top of the vise, but I milled it to accept the various brass sizes I use, and also a v-block for holding axles for cutting. Crude but effective, coffee cup for size reference only! it needs filled.
ImageImage
btaylor
Uncle Bob

Re: HRW Axle and brass cutter 3000

Postby Gameover » Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:26 am

Yep I so need one of these!!
Gameover
Mr. Hubcaps

Postby btaylor » Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:36 am

Steve, There are some better machines out there for cheap, if you only want to cut brass. But I just wanted to play with the idea a little for heavier stock such as axles. by the way, this Saw in NOT endorsed by HRW in any way, I shamelessly stole the Name for the catchy title. :lol:

Bob
btaylor
Uncle Bob

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:46 am

Hmmm. There was Tim Taylor, and your last name is????

I like it. You are the new Macgyver of slot cars.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby btaylor » Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:03 pm

btaylor
Uncle Bob

Postby ddyke » Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:20 am

My type pf man! Bravo!
ddyke
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby woodman » Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:01 pm

Great idea, I thought about clamping a dremel to some kind of pivot mechanism to make a mini chop saw...

I have built a few of my woodworking tools I still use today after 20 + years they are still in use....
woodman
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby noddaz » Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:09 pm

very nice.

Harbor Freight has a mini chop saw, but it has a really poor design clamp for what we do. There isn't a flat edge to support the piece you are cutting. The center of the clamp has a raised portion that can make the work you are holding uneven. Also the cutting blade is something like 3/16 from the edge of the clamp. So you can't just line up your cut at the edge of the clamp. But it does have a V groove to hold small round stock in the clamp.

Scott
noddaz
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Retro Racer 44 » Mon Feb 09, 2015 1:25 am

That saw above is like the one from MicroMark, but much cheaper. I have used one of those and find that the motor almost stalls when you try to cut 1/16 x 1/2 brass strip, even if you only push it down lightly. I agree that the table needs a flat surface like a real chop saw, and a stop device that could be adjusted to length would make cutting multiples of the same length much easier.

That is a really cool saw, Bob, and I'll bet it cuts better than the one shown above from HF.

Keith
Retro Racer 44
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby btaylor » Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:22 am

Thanks Keith, it is a bit clunky as far as finish goes, but it cuts like a hot knife through butter! I wish it had the same overall quality as my new Tire Razor, that thing is a work of art in metal. But it gets the job done,and was very cheap to build.

Bob
btaylor
Uncle Bob

Return to SlotCar ToolTime