[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Your next Dremel?

Your next Dremel?

All About The Tools In Our Hobby
Product Reviews & Advice From Advanced Enthusiasts

Your next Dremel?

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Fri Dec 12, 2014 8:19 am

HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Re: Your next Dremel?

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:01 am

Oh I agree. It was intended to be on the humorous side.

I find it even more amusing that we can have these...but still not a printer that we can print white and make our own decals. ALPS is long dead and finding them along with the cartridges is getting harder and harder.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:17 pm

Agreed on both counts.
If I understand it properly, using a 3D printer requires that a skilled hand at orthographic CAD drawing provides the key element in order to get a proper fitment of the parts being made. So it follows that a 3D scanner is going to be what sells these things to the general public, as relatively few people will be willing to gamble a successful mastery of expensive CAD drawing software, followed by the expense of the 3D printer itself. Currently, there are 3D scanners in operation industrially, but hobby versions are rare, as far as I know.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Fri Dec 12, 2014 3:56 pm

What rant? That was very informative.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby ChallengerGuy » Fri Dec 12, 2014 5:06 pm

To borrow a blogger headline from a year ago:

Déjà vu All Over Again: A 2013 Home 3D Printer Is Like a 1983 Dot Matrix Printer

One day it may happen...but not now.
ChallengerGuy
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Ember » Fri Dec 12, 2014 6:08 pm

Ember
Downunder Diorama Queen

Location: South western corner of the south eastern bit of Downunder

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:39 pm

I found it. There are two of them one is $7500, the other, C711WT Color + White Laser Printer for only $3400US- what a bargain... The key is that they are for printing on textiles, apparently.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby Ember » Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:01 pm

The C711WT I can get for between Aud 2500 and 3000. Sure it's not cheap against regular printer prices currently. But I have paid that much in the past for an archive quality A3+ high resolution inkjet printer. Like everything new tech, the price will come down when the patents run out. It is what was keeping the price of 3D printing out of reach for home use. But now that 2 of the major patents have expired the prices are tumbling.
Ember
Downunder Diorama Queen

Location: South western corner of the south eastern bit of Downunder

Postby noddaz » Sat Dec 13, 2014 5:24 pm

When I saw the title I thought "Why would I need another Dremel? I have 3."
Then I opened the thread... :o

I guess I do. But not this year. Or next...

Scott
noddaz
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby ddyke » Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:28 am

Given the issues others and I have had with guides, I wonder if there are parts that should not be fabricated this way? Casting is still a viable alternative. Print the master and cast the final product.
ddyke
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby masmojo » Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:13 pm

I think we sloters and other hobbyist like Model train guys can really put them to good use, but they are kind of being marketed with sort of a shot gun approach; just kind of throwing them out there to see what people will do with them. I was somewhat surprised to see them @ Fry's about 18 months ago, but even more surprised to see them @ a Home Depot about 4 months ago! I do think they trick or the thing that will sell them is the $1,500. scanner because most people won't be able to program something in a CAD program or Softworks.

Price will come down some more I think, but what's gonna really, put them on all our work benches is when those people (first adopters) who thought they were cool and bought them only to find they really had no real use for them, start selling'em on Craigslist for CHEAP!! Then we can all jump in! :music-rockout:
masmojo
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to SlotCar ToolTime