[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Lathe Motor

Lathe Motor

All About The Tools In Our Hobby
Product Reviews & Advice From Advanced Enthusiasts

Lathe Motor

Postby ddyke » Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:27 pm

I was told on the discussion groups about lathes that a DC motor from a treadmill is a much better motor for a lathe than the stock AC motors. I picked a working treadmill up today. I will see if they are right.
ddyke
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: Lathe Motor

Postby 4424ever » Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:01 pm

My lathe and milling machine both run DC motors with an electronic speed control, much better at low speeds!
4424ever
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby bill from nh » Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:52 pm

I run my Unimat with a Heathkit AC motor speed control I built in the mid-70's. I've never had any low speed problems with this unit. Using it, I can reduce the motor speed to less than 100 RPM, if needed.
bill from nh
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby ddyke » Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:47 am

This motor also has better torque.
ddyke
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby ddyke » Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:43 pm

The last treadmill I tore apart to get the motor and electronics was a nightmare. This one was amazingly simple. I wish I had kept the other motor but this guy gave me a spare as he had thought it was the motor that had gone bad but it was something else. I am going to make a switch and run the mill and the lathe off the same electronics.
ddyke
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby RazorJon » Sun Aug 31, 2014 2:48 pm

the motor on my mill is 7 HP 240V 3 Phase you think yours would work for me? LOL

that phase converter is killing my electric bill :scared-eek:
RazorJon
Tire Razor Guy

Postby ddyke » Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:29 pm

Ha, these are scrawny 2 HP motors made to help fat people pretend they are running.
ddyke
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby ddyke » Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:36 am

The big problem is the pulley system. The original pulleys are little small for the added power of the new motor. The other problem is the pulley on the treadmill motor is press fit on. The third problem is the treadmill pulley that goes on the lathe has to have an adapter to fit.

1. Do I use the original pulleys from the lathe?
2. The Pulleys from the treadmill?
3. A new set of pulleys?

I am going to try #2 first as the pulley on the motor is really tight.

Dan
ddyke
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby ddyke » Sun Dec 07, 2014 5:11 pm

I made an adapter to get the pulley on the headstock. Now to finish the bracket for the motor.
ddyke
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby FootScoot » Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:42 am

I need a motor for my Unimat. I couldn't see spending $200 for a speed controller and motor, but it is a direct replacement. I also think I have chuck problems as I'm getting a slight wobble when I insert a drill blank in it and run a runout gauge on it. I've tried it with 3 different blanks same result. I got it free so I don't have much invested. :mrgreen:
FootScoot
Mini Model Master

Postby btaylor » Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:59 am

btaylor
Uncle Bob

Return to SlotCar ToolTime