[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 429: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Making Multiple Round Tubing Pieces the Same Length

Making Multiple Round Tubing Pieces the Same Length

All About The Tools In Our Hobby
Product Reviews & Advice From Advanced Enthusiasts

Making Multiple Round Tubing Pieces the Same Length

Postby Florida_Slotter » Sat Oct 20, 2012 12:06 pm

I had mentioned in Dan's post about using a cordless drill to cut round tubing. In that post I also mentioned about using the same set up to cut multiple pieces to the same length. I know there are some that can use photos to make it easier for them to 'see' what I'm talking about as many times I don't think folks fully understand what I think I'm talking about.

The first thing I do is insert a piece of tubing into the chuck of the drill and cut it even with the end of the chuck. For example, I'll say I'm cutting 3/32 round brass tubing for hinges on a chassis. I'll need 4 of them, and I like them to all be the same length.

After I make the cut with my Zona saw, I loosen the chuck, slide the end of the cut piece out just a bit and then using a fine cut file and a small round file, I clean up both the inside and inside of the tubing.

I said that I was cutting 3/32 tubing. So I have some 1/8 inch tubing that is cut to the length that I want the hinges to be. I loosen the chuck, slide the 3/32 tubing out, slip the 1/8 tubing over it, then use a flat surface to press the 3/32 tubing back into the chuck so it is even with the end of the 1/8 inch tubing.

Prior to making the cut, I slip a piece of wire into the inside of the tubing. This will keep you from saying all those nasty little tidbits when a piece goes flying! Trust me, it works very nicely. :dance:

When you get done, you have as many pieces you want that are all the same length and are finished nicely on both ends. It just makes your work look better.

I hope this gives you a better understanding of what I was trying to say.
Florida_Slotter
Scratch Build Guru

Re: Making Multiple Round Tubing Pieces the Same Length

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Sat Oct 20, 2012 12:15 pm

I never would have thought that was what you meant. I'll try it, using my Dremel to cut while the tubing is turning. And I really like that keeper for the cutoff. Come to think of it, this is an excellent use for a jeweler's lathe I picked up years ago. It has a minichuck.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby ddyke » Sat Oct 20, 2012 12:23 pm

Brilliant
ddyke
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby nhdungeonracer » Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:38 pm

Thanks Marty, the pics do help explain a lot :banana-rock:
nhdungeonracer
SCC Mechanic