[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Dremel stylus Cordless ?

Dremel stylus Cordless ?

All About The Tools In Our Hobby
Product Reviews & Advice From Advanced Enthusiasts

Re: Dremel stylus Cordless ?

Postby munter » Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:48 pm

Yep, they are good. My mate has one and he uses it to work on resin bodies etc and gives it the thumbs up.
I have tried it too.
I have already got the 3000 model so wont be getting one but the price here is pleasing.
munter
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby ddyke » Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:19 am

If you are restricting your uses to light weight stuff.
ddyke
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby bkrownd » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:36 pm

I have one. Very nice to work with compared to the normal clunky Dremel tool shape. I work on my resins with one, which would be ruined if I tried a normal Dremel on them.

I would really prefer a drill-like throttle trigger though, rather than the Dremel-style constant RPM.

A word of caution - I have heard rumors that the internal battery has a fairly short lifetime. Still, it does stuff the normal Dremel just won't do.

bkrownd
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby SpeedyNH » Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:31 pm

i refuse to buy dremel brand tools anymore. i had a couple really good moto-tools that had failed, in the late 90's. the motor ran, but there was no output drive. taking them apart, it turned out that that there was a clear plastic, internal-splined coupling between the motor and the mandrel/output shaft that had split.
they refused to sell me a replacement part- "buy a new tool" was their answer. they'll sell you motor brushes, but that's it. so with a corporate attitude like that, i simply avoid them and don't give them my business anymore.
also, around the same time, i had found that the batteries for their cordless "mini-mite"s failed prematurely, as in after a couple months of use, no matter how or when they were charged. i'm talking about at least four out of five of them. i got no response whatsoever in reply to any of my inquiries about a solution.
so you can predict what my advice would be about buying anything more from That particular company- don't do it!
speedy
SpeedyNH
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Cobra Freak » Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:56 am

I have three Dremels, and the Stylus is the one I use the most. I have had no issues with battery life, and I like the feel of it in my hand. I use it for everything invcluding light non precision milling type work and cutting sheet brass. No company has a 100% satisfaction rating, but my experiences with them have been positive. I'd recommend this tool to anyone. :banana-rock:
Cobra Freak

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:11 pm

I have three Dremels because I figured out how to overcome the exact same problem with that coupling- after I had bought a new one, which I didn't like, so I bought the little rechargeable with two extra batteries because the charge life is extremely short on these. Eventually, I tired of fooling around swapping batteries and always having one charging, taking up space on my table. I splurged on the deluxe whoop-de-doo set, and have been very happy ever since. Lots of power, variable speed, and much lighter weight than the previous models (not as light as the battery version, but still lightweight), a ton of goodies to put in it, nice case, etc. Then a cheap Chinese copy came around called Blue Hawk, which was at Lowe's for a quarter the price. I use it for everything but the most delicate work, as there is a bit of slack in the shaft, and that's not a problem for roughout work. If you go that route, look out for the tool tips in the Blue Hawk case. They are not good quality and could be dangerous. Use Dremel tool tips, they are straighter anyway.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby JML » Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:57 am

Change the collet to the three-jaw chuck, and you'll be even happier.
JML

Postby SpeedyNH » Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:45 pm

SpeedyNH
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby JML » Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:08 pm

Dremel has discontinued the Stylus. So if you like it, better try and find a backup to stash away.

From some reports, the heat from the charger stand killed the batteries. So don't leave your stand plugged in unless you are charging the battery, and when you're charging the tool, unplug the charger stand as soon as the green charging light goes off.
JML

Postby bkrownd » Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:21 pm

Crap! I hope there's a new design. These things are very handy.
bkrownd
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:36 pm

Speedy- Sorry I took so long to see your post.
The factory coupling is a flexible barrel with intersecting flanges that come from both sides. I first tried a piece of cut down Nalgene tubing, but after a few months, it was junk. Then I tried a chunk of fuel line for a VW (aircooled VW, the only real VW), and discovered that the flanges dug in very soon after installation, and both sides held fast. What floors me is that anyone in their right mind would think this stupid flex link was necessary. Some day, when one of the recovered junk ones finally fails, I am going to try to sleeve the shaft and make it solid all the way. Even if that means adding a bearing to hold it straight, it will be more permanent. Meanwhile, the nice one that was in the big kit is luxuriously powerful and easy to use. The rechargeable is still going fine, but there will be a day when it is useless, I'm sure. By the way, the Blue Hawk died yesterday afternoon. The speed dial went bad. I may look into bypassing the speed dial circuit.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby JML » Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:03 pm

JML

Postby FootScoot » Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:14 pm

I've had mine for at least 3-4 years now, and haven't had minutes trouble with it yet. I leave mine on the charger sometimes for weeks at a time and no problems. Just a great little tool. :)
FootScoot
Mini Model Master

Postby JML » Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:57 am

I found an online USA source that has a handful left in stock, for a good price, and got one for myself. Send me a pm if you want the info before they're all gone...
JML

Re: bad Dremel spline coupling

Postby SpeedyNH » Thu Nov 28, 2013 6:04 pm

SpeedyNH
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Next

Return to SlotCar ToolTime