Dremel stylus Cordless ?

All About The Tools In Our Hobby
Product Reviews & Advice From Advanced Enthusiasts

Re: Dremel stylus Cordless ?

Postby RichD » Sat Dec 27, 2014 8:37 am

I have been using Dremels for over 50 years, my first one was a Christmas present and I finally wore it out about ten years ago. The replacement was another corded model, but with variable speed. I wanted a battery powered Dremel to take to races. I did not expect to use it for long periods, so I got the cheapest model, but that turned out to be a mistake because the battery had a very short life and would discharge overnight. To be of any use at all I had to charge the battery on race day.I was never able to get a spare battery and finally the charger died, so I junked that Dremel. I then bought the best cordless model, which is a little bulky to take to a race, but the charge lasts a long time and the battery does not discharge on standing. I guess it would be a good move to see if I can get a spare battery. In order to use the chuck with the Dremel that I have the tightener that attaches to the end of the tool has to be removed. The cordless drill does not coast when it is shut off like the corded models do, in fact it stops so fast that the chuck can unscrew and fall off.
RichD
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby SpeedyNH » Sat Dec 27, 2014 9:12 pm

I don't buy anything from Dremel any more. The internally-splined clear plastic coupling inside between the motor and the mandrel shaft split on one of mine that I used to take to the track. I thought that it was very poory designed, but I didn't say so at the time. However, denied me a replacement part. Very unsympathetic, just told me to go away and buy a new tool. My favorites now are the Ryobis, at least in corded.
SpeedyNH
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby masmojo » Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:50 pm

I bought one of these years ago, after somebody recommended them, I hafta say that I never really took to the T-shape and I tend to hit the on off button when what I am really trying to do is change bits (because they are right next to each other) My main Cordless Dremmel died (maybe the above mentioned plastic do-hicky) My old 9volt still works (gotta love old tired Ni-cads) So now I use this one quite a bit, but I have figured out how to hold it like my old straight body dremel so I can use it till it dies.

When I am in my work room I will many times use my old Fordham cable drive tool I picked up used off epay, it's got a foot pedal and never needs recharging! :lol:
masmojo
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Previous

Return to SlotCar ToolTime