Cordless Solder

All About The Tools In Our Hobby
Product Reviews & Advice From Advanced Enthusiasts

Cordless Solder

Postby Perrotoro » Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:24 am

I picked up a butane solder iron last night - the cordless will help alleviate space issues. What's the verdict on performance of these butane irons? Good, bad, moderate? I'll take it back if the everyone thinks they're not worth the cordless convenience.
Perrotoro
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: Cordless Solder

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:04 pm

They are like a lot of other tools. For the task it is intended to do, it works great. For others, it is too much heat in the wrong place, or won't fit in some spot, or any other kind of thing. A simple torch (small), is great to solder big joints with, where you want to flow a lot of solder into a big important joint, I find. I use a Hakko soldering iron for everything else. Cord is no problem for me. See if it will convert to a simple small flame torch. It will be useful, but you have to get an electric to do wiring easily. Have fun.
Last edited by waaytoomuchintothis on Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby Perrotoro » Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:40 am

Thanks waayto...
Perrotoro
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BRS Hobbies » Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:05 pm

I have always used a corded pencil type soldering iron with great results. It helps to have a wet sponge to clean the tip from time to time. I never saw the need for a cordless one unless you need to solder somewhere that didn't have any electricity.

Brian
BRS Hobbies
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: Cordless Solder - Butane Soldering Iron

Postby Perrotoro » Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:23 pm

Really liking my butane solder iron. It heats up so much fater than electric and I believe cools down faster. The tip stays shinier between solder, cleans easier, and must have high heat as a quick touch is all that is required. There’s no wires across the working space - so more free space and less cumbersome due to wireless. And it more easily free stands on the work surface since there’s no wire applying an unbalancing force.

Only minor complaint is that fairly frequent refills are required. It'll go for 5-mins or more, but after that, I think its made to loose a charge quickly in case someone forgets to turn it off the lock-on position. For any of you soldering in digital chips and lights - give it a try.
Perrotoro
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby RichD » Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:53 am

The trick with electric soldering irons is to turn them down, rather than to turn them off, when you are not actually soldering. I use a light dimmer with my iron and I turn the voltage down to maybe 70 or so when I am not soldering. When I am ready to solder I turn the voltage all the way up and wipe the tip on a wet sponge.
RichD
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to SlotCar ToolTime