Motor RPM Checker Phone App

All About The Tools In Our Hobby
Product Reviews & Advice From Advanced Enthusiasts

Re: Motor RPM Checker Phone App

Postby Xr4ti » Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:54 pm

GIRI says this is a design for older phones and doesn't look to have been updated. My S9 gives goofy readings too although it started out okay.
Xr4ti
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BARC 1 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:13 pm

Interesting. I will load it on an old I phone I have and see if it is more stable
BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:06 pm

I have been using it on an iPhone 8+ and so far it has been incredibly accurate.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby Kevan » Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:58 am

I don't mind the readings wandering, I know what the motors should be so a 40k reading on a 19k motor is obviously wrong. Sometimes it needs time to settle, it always seems more accurate out of the car. If you use it in the car you'll get gearmesh sound interfering and the reading will be a few 100rpm lower as a result of the loading.

There is a useful extra, if you look top left there is a pie shaped circle, if you click it you can focus the rpm you think the motor actually is to a 5k rpm range by rotating the open disc, this tends to mask unwanted sounds being picked up.
Kevan

Postby BARC 1 » Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:15 pm

I had the motor on the bench out of the car. Like you, it is easy to disregard the false readings, but on some occasions, i never get a real one. I guess the take away from all of this, is that the app is a little flakey, as it appears the issue is shared by otherd as well.

Never knew you could fine tune in a good guess, so I will give that a try.
BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby War Eagle River » Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:48 pm

Here’s my take on the Giri app. It works fairly accurately with a motor that is not in the car and is mounted securely with no background noise. It will ‘usually’ be within 2-3 hundred rpm of using a laser reader. If you try it while in a car, the gear mesh comes into play, and readings are not accurate. If you try it with the body on the car forget about it, readings all over the map!
War Eagle River
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Previous

Return to SlotCar ToolTime