[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Cutting tools

Cutting tools

All About The Tools In Our Hobby
Product Reviews & Advice From Advanced Enthusiasts

Cutting tools

Postby MichiganCur » Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:34 pm

Ok I'm going to assume this has been asked before so links would be a fine answer, but taptalk simply isn't letting me search the site and even if I try the Web version my phone just kicks me back over to taptalk Grrrrr.

Anyways I need a good solution for cutting piano wire and brass tubing repeatedly. I've tried using dremel just end up having to go longer and sanding even and I usually end up with one still off or everything shorter than I wanted. My chop saw simply too big and not easy to do safely.

What are you guys doing to make repeated parts? Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
MichiganCur
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: Cutting tools

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:50 pm

Sometimes I use one of my Dremels (battery or corded), sometimes, I use a diamond bladed mini chopsaw I got from Harbor Freight (be careful if you buy one- mine has been fine, but two friends whose use of tools is just as good as mine have had bad motors that burned up fast). The Micromark mini chopsaw is the same as HF, but hugely overpriced like the rest of MM. Frankly, the best system for me for doing multiple identical long parts is to cut the wrong side of my mark (which is 1/16th long), and use a nifty miniature belt/disk sander to square them up. For plate (flat goods), I cut on a mini band saw fitted with a fine tooth blade. If I could find a decent way to square the table up on that thing, I'd do precision cuts that way without sanding at all. By the way, blue aluminum oxide is an excellent sander material for the things we use in slot car land. Good luck!
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Fri Jul 29, 2016 6:54 pm

I use a Harbor Freight mini cut off saw.

HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby munter » Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:19 pm

There is also the K&S tube cutter...cheap and cheerful.
munter
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby MichiganCur » Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:42 am

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll have to stop by a harbor freight next time I make it to the big city.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
MichiganCur
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Sun Jul 31, 2016 10:13 am

If you tell them up front that the motors have been a problem, they don't mind you taking it over to the big display table and trying them out to get a good one. Working at HF, they get be realists.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby tjettom » Sun Jul 31, 2016 10:59 am

I also have been using that same H.F. tool for quite some time although I did substitute an abrasive cut off disc for cutting all metals. Works great!
tjettom
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby mattb » Sun Jul 31, 2016 1:04 pm

I also use the HF, but I don't cut fast as it bogs down the motor. Now, is that just mine or are they all like that? I have to cut slow. Maybe the abrasive blade is better. How about a little more info on that.
mattb
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby VTECFOUR » Sun Jul 31, 2016 1:28 pm

The HF has sure made my foray into chassis building easier. With an abrasive cut off disc (purchased from Princess Auto for the Canadians) it makes cutting piano wire and brass tubing, rods and strips a breeze. Takes awhile though on .064 brass strips.

Thought my motor had died after seven years of use but it just turned out to be a loose on/off switch lead.

Not the highest quality, but it does the job for slot cars.

Dan
VTECFOUR
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Sun Jul 31, 2016 1:52 pm

HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Sun Jul 31, 2016 2:00 pm

Ha! yours is as old as mine is. I know by the color scheme.

Going slow is the key. I have been on the lookout for a replacement motor forever, off and on. There are several abrasive blade types. I use the diamond dust edged one that HF sells, but there are lots of different kinds around if you look. I would really like to try to find the fibreglass reinforced graphite thin blade that Dremel sells for their arbors. I know somebody out there has those the right size. Nothing I have ever seen cuts piano wire like those do.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby Gameover » Sun Jul 31, 2016 8:36 pm

Gameover
Mr. Hubcaps

Postby 4424ever » Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:24 pm

What size discs do they take?
4424ever
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Abarth Mike » Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:48 pm

I'm old enough to think the answer to the problem is a vice with soft jaws and a junior hacksaw!
Abarth Mike
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Gameover » Sun Jul 31, 2016 10:06 pm

2". I ordered 3 extra blades.
Gameover
Mr. Hubcaps

Next

Return to SlotCar ToolTime