[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Cutting tools

Cutting tools

All About The Tools In Our Hobby
Product Reviews & Advice From Advanced Enthusiasts

Re: Cutting tools

Postby Changing-Gearz » Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:25 am

I use the HF as well

I put a dremel cutoff wheel in it - no modifications........the one that takes the funky push and twist adapter - "EZ-lock"..... I cut axles - so I'm sure anything else would be butter. It fits a little funky but it works fine.

Haven't been able to find a better blade to put in it.... Though I haven't looked far since I found something that works for now.
Theres $0.02 for ya!
Last edited by Changing-Gearz on Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Changing-Gearz
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:36 am

Well, if you want to cut the old fashioned way, get a miter box and skip the vise.

This is the EXCEL box and works as it should. I can only advise avoiding the plastic miter boxes and using the stronger aluminum.

HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:22 pm

People make PLASTIC miter boxes?!? Really? Why not cork or balsa? LOL!
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby bill from nh » Wed Aug 03, 2016 6:03 am

I've owned both plastic & aluminum miter boxes in the past & both work well if you don't hurry. If you do, both types get cut up & will give you inaccurate cuts. i currently use miter boxes made from scraps of wood. They're easily replaced. If one end is cut square to the fence, It makes an accurate place to square up strips & tubing with a mill file.
bill from nh
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Gameover » Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:15 pm

My new chop saw came today!!

Cant wait to try it out :)
Gameover
Mr. Hubcaps

Postby gascarnut » Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:08 am

I have the MicroMark version of this cut-off tool, it has been working hard for nigh on ten years now.

The abrasive discs are a must for brass and steel. I seldom cut any brass sheet in mine as I have a nice bandsaw with an 18TPI blade that does that, so my cutoff saw is mostly for piano wire, brass rod and tubing. I added an adjustable stop to mine so I can cut multiple lengths all the same:

Apologies for the poor photo, it's almost as old as the machine!
gascarnut
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Gameover » Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:25 am

Love the adjustable stop. I need one of those!!!
Gameover
Mr. Hubcaps

Postby gascarnut » Wed Aug 10, 2016 11:20 am

gascarnut
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby gascarnut » Wed Aug 10, 2016 11:21 am

gascarnut
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Retro Racer 44 » Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:20 pm

I recently bought a tool called a Rockwell Blade Runner. It is like a scroll saw turned upside down in a small table, with a blade guide/guard above it. I haven't tried to cut piano wire with it, I just use a hacksaw with a fine blade for that, but it is great for cutting brass strips, even up to 0.0625 thick. I recently also got some 3/4" square brass tubing to make motor brackets, and this tool could cut through the face of the tubing that is also 0.0625 thick. The piece of 1" square may be pushing it a little, but I will try that next. It is also a small enough size for my limited workbench space.

The tool came with blades for wood, metal and ceramic, and cuts cleanly with no wandering. It is quite loud, so if you get one, be sure to wear ear protection and safety glasses. The good thing, no more need to solder 1/2" brass strip pieces together to make a rear bracket that may end up being a bit wonky.

Cheers,

Keith
Retro Racer 44
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:41 pm

HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby chappy » Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:54 am

I have the Micro Mark one , same as Dennis.
Seems to be a good unit , but does requore the sizing bracket that he made up to ensure multiple same length cuts.
B
chappy
Minister of Slot Racing

Previous

Return to SlotCar ToolTime